Parts of this article (those related to board of directors) need to be updated.(June 2020)
|Founder||Henri Alekan, Raoul Coutard, Alain Derobe, Pierre-William Glenn, Georges Strouvé|
|Type||Association loi de 1901|
Nathalie Durand, Laurent Chalet, Vincent Mathias
Richard Andry, Philippe Van Leeuw
The French Society of Cinematographers (French: Association française des directeurs de la photographie cinématographique), or the AFC for short, is France's foremost professional organization of French cinematographers. Founded in 1990 by Henri Alekan, Raoul Coutard, Alain Derobe, Pierre-William Glenn, and Georges Strouvé, who were soon joined by Eduardo Serra, Pierre Lhomme, and Robert Alazraki, the AFC today has over one hundred members.
Members of the Board of Directors for 2019
- President: Gilles Porte
- Vice-Presidents: Richard Andry, Caroline Champetier, Éric Guichard
- General Secretary: Nathalie Durand
- Secretary: Vincent Jeannot
- Treasurer: Michel Abramowicz
- Vice-Treasurer: Jean-Marie Dreujou
- The AFC publishes a journal entitled Lumières.
- The AFC drew up the Charte de l'image
- The AFC partners with French manufactures of cinematographic equipment.
- Every year, the AFC hosts its annual trade fair, the Micro Salon, in Paris, where equipment manufacturers, service providers, and users gather to discuss cinematographic innovations.
- Every year, the AFC hosts the Journées AFC de la Postproduction
- The AFC participates in the Cannes Film Festival, and organizes professional events on an international scale at its stand, the Pavillon de l'Image.
- The AFC publishes original interviews granted by cinematographers whose films have been selected by the Festival.
- The AFC publishes its monthly la AFC Newsletter.
- The AFC has created and maintains Le CinéDico, a thematic multilingual dictionary for cinematographic and audiovisual terminology, with translations in French, English, German, Chinese, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, and Russian.
- Following in the model of the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC), the official abbreviations of cinematographers' professional associations are often composed of 3 letters, the last of which is "C", as in the English word Cinematographer: British Society of Cinematographers (BSC), Associazione Italiana Autori della Fotografia Cinematografica (AIC), etc. Therefore, the AFC writes its full name as follows: Association Française des directeurs de la photographie Cinématographique.
- Imago (The European Federation of Cinematographers)