|Founder||Hoeper family & various others|
Number of locations
|Franklin dos Santos (CEO)|
|Owner||Metcash (brand name)|
Independent groups (stores)
Number of employees
IGA Foodland is an Australian supermarket chain with 96 locations, primarily in South Australia, but also in the Northern Territory and New South Wales. The stores are independently owned and operated, although several operators own multiple stores, the majority of stores are owned by Metcash, the owners of national supermarket chain IGA
The Hoeper family established a grocery store in 1871, at Glenelg South in Adelaide. In 1962, it became the first store to be branded Foodland. It has been expanded and modified over the years to become a small shopping centre, and is now run by Romeo's Retail Group.
In 2005, the Foodland brand name was bought by Metcash-owned IGA. The stores are independently owned, and reflect their individual owners and locations.
Romeo's Retail Group
Number of locations
|Tony and Elisabeth Romeo (owners) and their sons Paul, Joseph and Antony|
Romeo's Retail Group owns (September 2019) 39 Foodland IGA stores.
Eudunda Farmers is a co-operative established at Eudunda in country South Australia in 1896. Eudunda Farmers currently own and operate 18 Foodland & 3 IGA stores throughout country South Australia.
The Chapley brothers, John and Nick, own a large number of metropolitan Adelaide Foodland stores. Commercial Retail Group (CRG) runs two of the flagship stores, at Pasadena and Frewville. The latter won the "International Retailer of the Year excellence award" at the IGA Conference in the USA in 2016. The Pasadena and Frewville stores trade as "the world's finest supermarkets".
The Klose family runs a number of Foodland supermarkets in the Adelaide Hills.
- "Foodland online".
- Lee Nicholson (22 March 2016). "10 minutes with... Con Sciacca". InDaily. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Store Locator". Romeo's Retail Group. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- Bowden, Tom (3 June 2012). "Memories of the first Foodland". The Advertiser (Adelaide). Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Bloomberg. "Eudunda Farmers Ltd company profile".
- "SA supermarket named best in the world". www.adelaidenow.com.au. 1 March 2016. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "SA SUPERMARKET CHAIN INVESTS IN JCB QS GENERATOR RANGE". JCB. 29 September 2017. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "About | Brighton Foodland". Retrieved 15 January 2019.