The Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull
|Lord President of the Council|
6 February 1719 – 11 June 1720
|Preceded by||The Earl of Sunderland|
|Succeeded by||Viscount Townshend|
|Died||5 March 1726|
|Spouse(s)||Lady Mary Feilding |
Lady Isabella Bentinck
|Children||6, including Mary|
Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull, Nottinghamshire, and his wife Elizabeth Evelyn (daughter of John Evelyn), and the grandson of William Pierrepont of Thoresby. He was born at West Dean, Wiltshire.(c. 1665 – 5 March 1726) was an English aristocrat, the third son of Robert Pierrepont of Thoresby,
He had been the member of parliament for East Retford before his accession to the peerage as fifth Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull in 1690. While serving as one of the commissioners for the union with Scotland, he was created Marquess of Dorchester in 1706, and took a leading part in the business of the House of Lords. He was made a privy councillor and in 1715 was created Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull; afterwards serving as Lord Privy Seal and Lord President of the Council. The Duke was a prominent figure in the fashionable society of his day.
- Lady Mary Pierrepoint (died 1762), who married the diplomat Edward Wortley-Montagu
- Lady Frances Pierrepont (died 1761), who married John Erskine, Earl of Mar
- Lady Evelyn Pierrepont (died 1727), who married John Leveson-Gower, 1st Earl Gower, and was mother of Gertrude, Duchess of Bedford
- William Pierrepont, Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull, who died of smallpox, aged 20, in July 1713. He married and had a daughter Frances (died 1795) and a son Evelyn.
His second wife was Lady Isabella Bentinck, daughter of Hans William Bentinck, 1st Earl of Portland, whom he married in 1714. They had two daughters:
- Lady Caroline Pierrepont (died 1753), who married Thomas Brand (senior), MP
- Lady Anne Pierrepont (1719–1739)
He was succeeded by his grandson Evelyn, son of William.
- "Biography of Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull (c.1665-1726)". The University of Nottingham. Retrieved 8 November 2020.
- Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900. .
- "Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull at Special Collections of The University of Nottingham". Nottingham.ac.uk. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Kingston-upon-Hull, Earls and Dukes of". Encyclopædia Britannica. 15 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 822. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the
- "William Pierrepont, Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (1692-1713) at Special Collections of The University of Nottingham". Nottingham.ac.uk. Retrieved 28 January 2012.