The European Parliament Intergroup on LGBTI Rights is an intergroup of the European Parliament's legislators which focuses on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex persons both inside and outside the European Union. It is a cross-party group of Members of the European Parliament counting over 150 supporters coming from 5 political groups and all EU countries. The LGBTI Intergroup remains the largest in the 2019-2024 legislature.
The Intergroup collaborates with EU institutions (European Commission, Council of the European Union, EEAS, European Committee of the Regions, Fundamental Rights Agency), Permanent Representations of Member States, other European International Organisations (e.g. Council of Europe, United Nations) and civil society associations (LGBTI-specific associations such as ILGA-Europe, IGLYO, Transgender Europe, NELFA, or with broader human rights focuses like Front Line Defenders, Civil Rights Defenders and Amnesty International).
The priorities are as follows:
- Freedom of movement for LGBTI people
- Monitoring the European Commission
- Combating discrimination in the European Union
- Securing transgender and intersex rights
- Monitoring human rights in the work of the European Union
Both Co-Presidents and Vice-Presidents decide upon the Intergroup's work programme and priorities.
The Bureau of the Intergroup is composed of 6 Members:
- Marc Angel (Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats), Co-President;
- Terry Reintke (Greens-EFA), Co-President;
- Maria Walsh (European People's Party), Vice-President;
- Liesje Schreinemacher (Renew Europe), Vice-President;
- Malin Björk (European United Left-Nordic Green Left), Vice-President;
- Fabio-Massimo Castaldo (Non-attached), Vice-President.
The Co-Presidents lead the Intergroup and represent it both inside and outside of the European Parliament, taking urgent decisions when necessary.
As of April 2020 (in the ninth European Parliament), the Intergroup's membership consists of 152 members, including the aforementioned.
By political group:
- 45 of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats (S&D)
- 33 of the Renew Europe Group (RE)
- 29 of The Greens–European Free Alliance (Greens–EFA)
- 17 of the European People's Party Group (EPP)
- 15 of the European United Left–Nordic Green Left (GUE-NGL)
- 4 non-attached members.
The Intergroup additionally counts on the membership of 11 other MEPs who do not wish for their identity to be disclosed.
The current secretary is Miguel Chambel since March 2020.
Previous secretaries include:
- Juliette Sanchez-Lambert (February 2018 – January 2020)
- Evert Jacobsen (June 2014 – February 2018)
- Bruno Selun (November 2009 – June 2014)
- Maris Sergejenko (April 2008 – June 2009)
- Kim Smouter (September 2006 – July 2007)
- Catrine Norrgård (December 2005 – June 2006)
- Oscar Ortiz-Nieminen (September 2005 – March 2006)
- Skoda, Ansgar (16 June 2013). "The EP Intergroup on LGBT Rights". The New Federalist.
- "Members – The European Parliament's LGBTI Intergroup". Retrieved 27 March 2020.
- "Joint letter from the European Parliament's Intergroup on LGBT Rights and ILGA-Europe about the homophobic law in Lithuania". Association Lithuanian Gay League. 22 August 2009.
- "NELFA – Network of European LGBTIQ* Families Associations". Retrieved 27 March 2020.
- Intergroup, LGBTI (8 March 2020). "Support to @FrontLineHRD, who brought the case to our attention and who keeps fighting for the rights of #HRDs worldwide". @LGBTIintergroup. Retrieved 27 March 2020.
- "Bureau – The European Parliament's LGBTI Intergroup". Retrieved 27 March 2020.
- "Members". Lgbt-ep.eu. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Secretariat – The European Parliament's LGBTI Intergroup". Retrieved 27 March 2020.