Eesti Teaduste Akadeemia
|Formation||28 January 1938|
Founded in 1938, the Estonian Academy of Sciences (Estonian: Eesti Teaduste Akadeemia) is Estonia's national academy of science in Tallinn. As with other national academies, it is an independent group of well-known scientists whose stated aim is to promote research and development, encourage international scientific cooperation, and disseminate knowledge to the public. As of March 2017, it had 77 full members and 20 foreign members. Since 15 October 2014, the president of the Academy is the mathematician Tarmo Soomere.
- Division of Astronomy and Physics (Estonian: Astronoomia ja füüsika osakond)
- Division of Informatics and Engineering (Estonian: Informaatika ja tehnikateaduste osakond)
- Division of Biology, Geology and Chemistry (Estonian: Bioloogia, geoloogia ja keemia osakond)
- Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences (Estonian: Humanitaar- ja sotsiaalteaduste osakond)
The Academy was established in 1938 as a learned society. When Estonia was occupied by the Soviet Union the Academy was dissolved on July 17, 1940. In June 1945 it was reestablished as the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR (Estonian: Eesti NSV Teaduste Akadeemia). In Soviet times, it consisted of a central library and four divisions containing 15 research institutes as well as other scientific societies and museums. In April 1989, shortly before Estonian independence, the academy regained its original name of Estonian Academy of Sciences. At this time it was also restructured into its present form.
- 1946–1950 Hans Kruus
- 1950–1968 Johan Eichfeld
- 1968–1973 Arnold Veimer
- 1973–1990 Karl Rebane
- 1990–1994 Arno Köörna
- 1994–2004 Jüri Engelbrecht
- 2004–2014 Richard Villems
- since 2014 Tarmo Soomere
The Academy's most prestigious prize is the Medal of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. This is awarded "for outstanding services in development of Estonian science or in helping forward its development, as well as for services in performance of tasks of the Estonian Academy of Sciences."
Estonian Academy Publishers
- Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Sciences
- Estonian Journal of Earth Sciences
- Oil Shale
- Linguistica Uralica
- Estonian Journal of Archaeology
- Acta Historica Tallinnensia
In addition, the publisher publishes The Yearbook of the Estonian Mother Tongue Society.
The publisher published the following journals:
- Estonian Journal of Ecology
- Estonian Journal of Engineering
- Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. Geology
- Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. Chemistry
- Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. Physics. Mathematics
Several organizations are associated with the Academy. These institutions or societies have activities and goals that conform to the objectives of the academy. They include:
- Estonian Naturalists' Society
- Estonian Geographical Society
- Society of Estonian Regional Studies
- Estonian Mother Tongue Society
- Estonian Union of the History and Philosophy of Science
- Estonian Learned Society in Sweden
- Estonian Literary Society
- Learned Estonian Society
- Estonian Musicological Society
- Estonian Physical Society
- Estonian Association of Engineers
- Estonian Biochemical Society
- Estonian Semiotics Association
- Estonian Chemical Society
- Estonian Society of Human Genetics
- Estonian Society for Economics
- Estonian Society for the Study of Religions
- Academy, web page at the Estonian Academy of Sciences. Accessed on line September 12, 2007.
- Estonian Academy of Sciences Archived 2007-09-17 at the Wayback Machine, web page at the Union of European Academies for Science Applied to Agriculture, Food, and Nature. Accessed on line September 12, 2007.
- Membership, web page at the Estonian Academy of Sciences. Accessed on line April 9, 2017.
- Facts of history, web page at the Estonian Academy of Sciences. Accessed on line April 9, 2017.
- Structure, web page at the Estonian Academy of Sciences. Accessed on line September 12, 2007.
- Struktuur, web page at the Estonian Academy of Sciences. Accessed on line September 12, 2007.
- Kronoloogia, web page at the Estonian Academy of Sciences. Accessed on line September 12, 2007.
- Estonian Academy of Sciences:Medals, Prizes, Scholarships (Accessed April 2013)
- Estonian Academy of Sciences, web page in English. Accessed on line September 12, 2007.
- "Journals – Estonian Academy Publishers". kirj.ee. Retrieved 11 April 2021.
- "Associated Organizations". Estonian Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- Academy official web site (Estonian and English)