|Directed by||Robert G. Vignola|
|Produced by||William Randolph Hearst|
|Written by||Luther Reed (scenario)|
|Based on||"Manhandling Ethel"|
by Frank Ramsey Adams
|Cinematography||Ira H. Morgan|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
Enchantment is a 1921 American silent romantic comedy film produced by Cosmopolitan Productions and released by Paramount Pictures. The film was directed by Robert G. Vignola and starred Marion Davies. A print of the film exists in the Library of Congress.
Inspired by a staging of William Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew, Marion Davies plays Ethel, the spoiled-brat daughter of millionaire Mr. Hoyt (Tom Lewis). Mr. Hoyt decides that a rough-and-tumble he-man might be able to straighten out his daughter. To that end, the millionaire hires Ernest Eddison (Forrest Stanley), the actor playing Petruchio in Shrew. Ernest talks Ethel into auditioning for an amateur production of Sleeping Beauty, then runs her roughshod during rehearsals. Ethel is on the verge of exploding when Ernest finally wins her over with a lulu of a third-act kiss.
- Marion Davies as Ethel Hoyt
- Forrest Stanley as Ernest Eddison
- Edith Shayne as Mrs. Hoyt
- Tom Lewis as Mr. Hoyt
- Arthur Rankin as Tommy Corbin
- Corinne Barker as Nalia
- Maude Turner Gordon as Mrs. Leigh
- Edith Lyle as Fairy Tale Queen
- Huntley Gordon as Fairy Tale King
- Emmet Foy as Male flapper #2
- Julia Hurley as Fairy tale crone
- Gilbert Rooney as Male flapper #1
In her 11th film, Marion Davies stars as a willful flapper in a modern-day comedy/drama. Production was highlighted by a massive pageant set designed by Joseph Urban. This was the first of six Davies films directed by Robert G. Vignola and the first of four Davies films to co-star Forrest Stanley.
- Progressive Silent Film List: Enchantment at silentera.com
- The American Film Institute Catalog of Motion Pictures produced in the United States 1921-30, c. 1971 by The American Film Institute, p. 214
- Lorusso, Edward (2017) The Silent Films of Marion Davies, CreateSpace, pp. 53-54.
- National Board of Review of Motion Pictures, Films in Review, Volume 23, 1972, p.327
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Enchantment (1921 film).|