Edgehill Church of Spuyten Duyvil
(Riverdale Presbyterian Chapel)
|Location||2550 Independence Ave.|
Spuyten Duyvil, Bronx, New York City
|Architect||Francis H. Kimball|
|Architectural style||Romanesque Revival, Tudor Revival, Shingle style|
|NRHP reference No.||82001089|
|Added to NRHP||October 29, 1982|
|Designated NYCL||November 25, 1980|
Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil is a United Church of Christ parish church located at 2550 Independence Avenue in the Spuyten Duyvil neighborhood of The Bronx, New York City. Its congregation was founded in 1869 as the mission chapel affiliated with the Riverdale Presbyterian Church, serving the workers at the nearby Johnson Iron Foundry. The church, described by the AIA Guide to New York City as a "picturesque eclectic sanctuary", was designed by architect Francis Kimball in a mixture of styles – Romanesque Revival, Tudor Revival and Shingle style – and was built from 1888–1889. It features stained glass windows designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany.
By 1977, the church's congregation had fallen dramatically. Plans were announced to close the church and convert it into a community center, the pastoral leadership was assumed by the Rev. Dr. William A. Tieck, a retired Methodist, who led the congregation until his death in 1997.
- List of New York City Landmarks
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Bronx County, New York
- John Jay McKelvey Sr., Attorney, Founder of Harvard Law Review, Edgehill Church, Founder, Incorporator, Trustee.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission; Dolkart, Andrew S.; Postal, Matthew A. (2009). Postal, Matthew A. (ed.). Guide to New York City Landmarks (4th ed.). New York: John Wiley & Sons. p. 346. ISBN 978-0-470-28963-1.
- White, Norval; Willensky, Elliot & Leadon, Fran (2010). AIA Guide to New York City (5th ed.). New York: Oxford University Press. p. 868. ISBN 978-0-19538-386-7.
- Andrew S. Dolkart; Anne B. Covell (February 1981). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2011-01-12. See also: "Accompanying three photos".
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art online listing of locations with works by Louis Comfort Tiffany. (retrieved May 12, 2008)
- Robert McG. Thomas Jr., "Dr. William A. Tieck, Minister And a Bronx Historian, 89", New York Times, January 20, 1997. (retrieved May 12, 2008).
- National Register online listing. (retrieved May 12, 2008)
- Harmalyn, Gary D. and Kornfeld, Robert. Landmarks of the Bronx Bronx County Historical Society, 1989.
- "A brief history of Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil" on Forgotten New York