|Born||July 16, 1973 (age 48)|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Institutions||Harvard University, University of California, Los Angeles|
|Doctoral advisor||Frans Kaashoek, Robert Morris|
Eddie Kohler is a computer scientist specializing in networks and operating systems. He is currently a professor of computer science at the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Prior to Harvard, he was a professor at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Kohler co-founded Mazu Networks in 2000 and served as its Chief Scientist until it was acquired in 2009. In 2006, he was named as one of the Top 35 Innovators Under 35 by MIT Technology Review magazine. In 2014, he received the SIGOPS Mark Weiser Award, an award given annually to a researcher who has made "contributions that are highly creative, innovative, and possibly high-risk, in keeping with the visionary spirit of Mark Weiser." He is also the author of the HotCRP conference management software.
In 2005, Kohler (with David Mazières) wrote a paper titled "Get me off Your Fucking Mailing List" and sarcastically submitted it to a conference from which the two did not wish to receive further communications. Years later, the paper (submitted by another scientist to an ostensibly peer-reviewed technical journal) was accepted for publication, despite a nonsensical body text.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 2000. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- S.M., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1997. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- S.B., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1995. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- S.B., Music, 1995. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Michael Mitzenmacher (2011). "Harvard CS Hires (2011 Edition)" (published 2011-06-06). Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Marlys Amundson (2006). "Five Promising Faculty Receive NSF CAREER Awards" (published 2006-03-08). Archived from the original on 2013-06-26. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "Eddie Kohler, Executive Profile & Biography". 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- "Riverbed Completes Acquisition of Mazu Networks" (published 2009-02-20). 2013. Archived from the original on 2012-03-16. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- MIT Technology Review (2006). "2006 Young Innovators Under 35". Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- M.Abraham (2006). "UCLA Engineering's Eddie Kohler Chosen as One of the Top Innovators Under the Age of 35 by MIT's Technology Review" (published 2006-09-08). Archived from the original on May 26, 2010. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "SIGOPS Mark Weiser Award". Retrieved 2015-10-10.
- "HotCRP Conference Management Software". Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- Joseph Stromberg (November 21, 2014). ""Get Me Off Your Fucking Mailing List" is an actual science paper accepted by a journal". Vox. Vox Media. Retrieved November 22, 2014.