|Dream of Love|
|Directed by||Fred Niblo|
|Produced by||Fred Niblo|
|Screenplay by||Dorothy Farnum|
|Based on||Adrienne Lecouvreur|
by Ernest Legouvé and Eugène Scribe
|Cinematography||Oliver T. Marsh|
William H. Daniels
|Edited by||James McKay|
Dream of Love is a 1928 American silent biographical drama film directed by Fred Niblo, and starring Joan Crawford and Nils Asther. The film is based on the 1849 French tragedy Adrienne Lecouvreur by Eugène Scribe and Ernest Legouvé.
Adrienne, a Gypsy girl performing in a traveling carnival, is unable to find true love for herself until she makes the acquaintance of Prince Maurice. They fall in love, but must part when, for diplomatic reasons, the prince is called upon to make love to the rich wife of an influential duke. Adrienne later becomes a popular stage actress and again meets the prince. Coincidentally, she is appearing in a play which resembles the sad story of her earlier relationship with the prince. Maurice is struggling to win his throne from a usurping dictator. With Adrienne's help, he dodges an assassination attempt and becomes king.
- Nils Asther - Prince Maurice de Saxe
- Joan Crawford - Adrienne Lecouvreur
- Aileen Pringle - The Duchess
- Warner Oland - The Duke, Current Dictator
- Carmel Myers - The Countess
- Harry Reinhardt - Count
- Harry Myers - The Baron
- Alphonse Martell - Michonet
- Fletcher Norton - Ivan
According to MGM records the film earned $339,000 in the US and Canada and $232,000 elsewhere resulting in a profit of $138,000.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- White Munden, Kenneth (1997). The American Film Institute Catalog of Motion Pictures Produced in the United States: Feature Films, 1921-1930. University of California Press. p. 202. ISBN 0-520-20969-9.
- Dream of Love at silentera.com database
- Munich, Adrienne, ed. (2011). Fashion In Film. Indiana University Press. p. 156. ISBN 978-0-253-22299-2.
- The Library of Congress/FIAF American Silent Feature Film Survival Catalog:Dream of Love