- Drafting tape should not leave a sticky residue behind
- Drafting tape is easily removable, even from delicate surfaces like paper. Drafting tape should not tear the paper during removal. This is the main reason engineers and architects use this kind of tape in their blueprints.
- Drafting tape should have a neutral pH.
- Drafting tape is slightly more water resistant to help with masking for paint.
While the obvious use of drafting tape is for drawing, drafting tape, like masking tape, can also be used for labeling and hanging posters. Its white or cream coloring goes well with many other colors, and it can be written on easily with any felt-tipped marker. In addition, drafting tape costs less than conventional labels, and its low cost also makes it more forgiving of errors. Drafting tape can also be used in Technical Drawing to help keep the paper well positioned and ensure no residue is left behind when removed. Drafting tape is designed to be temporary so it may disintegrate over time.
- Editors, The ARTnews Recommends (2020-05-30). "Achieve Precise Edges and Secure Your Work With the Best Drafting Tape for Artists". ARTnews.com. Retrieved 2021-01-12.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Micchelli, Thomas (2017-06-10). "Merrill Wagner's Puzzles in Color and Tape". Hyperallergic. Retrieved 2021-01-12.
- Carman, Katie (2020-05-20). "Painter's Tape vs. Masking Tape: What's the Difference?". HowStuffWorks. Retrieved 2021-01-12.
- "Is Artist Tape the Same as Masking Tape? | EngineerSupply - EngineerSupply". webcache.googleusercontent.com. Retrieved 2021-01-12.
- Drafting Tape Dick Blick Art Materials
- "Uses for Drafting Tape". FindTape.com Blog. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "I Bet You Don't Know At Least ONE Of These Blue Tape Tricks - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2021-01-12.
- Heloise (21 November 2014). "hints-from-heloise-old-coins-have-a-sticky-problem". Washington Post.
- Schulman, Alissa; Institute, Good Housekeeping (2020-12-24). "The Best Painter's Tapes for DIY Home Projects". Good Housekeeping. Retrieved 2021-01-12.
- "Presence, Distance, Lines on Paper: The Location of Lines at the MCA". art.newcity.com. 2021-01-11. Retrieved 2021-01-12.
- Speeney, Rich (2019-12-19). "The Difference Between Blue Painter's Tape and Masking Tape". TapeManBlue. Retrieved 2021-01-12.