|Downingtown High School|
|Type||Public secondary school|
|School district||Downingtown Area School District|
|Principal||East: Paul Hurley III|
West: A. Kurt Barker
|Campus||East: Uwchlan Township, PA|
West: Downingtown, PA
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
|Athletics||PIAA District 1|
|Mascot||East: The Cougar|
Downingtown High School is a secondary school located in Downingtown, Pennsylvania and Uwchlan Township, Pennsylvania. Population growth in the burgeoning Downingtown Area School District forced the original Downingtown High School to split into two campuses: Downingtown High School East Campus and Downingtown High School West Campus. While still legally considered one school, the two campuses (usually referred to simply as "East" or "West") are generally regarded as separate entities.
The mascot for Downingtown East is the cougar, for Downingtown West, the whippet. Both schools' colors are blue and gold, a similarity that recalls that the two campuses were once one school. A healthy rivalry exists between Downingtown East and West. Both schools are known for athletics and have won titles in different sports.
Downingtown East and West campuses field the following sports:
Downingtown High School has many clubs, from marching band to the ski club. The Student Council forms many committees and community service programs throughout the year. Both schools also have FBLA-PBL clubs (Future Business Leaders of America) which had nine students qualify for the national competition in 2003, seven students qualify for the national competition in 2014, and five qualify in 2015. The combined school's marching band has participated in the Tournament of Roses Parade, the Citrus Bowl Parade and the Indy 500 Parade. In 2011, the band performed in the Tournament of Roses Parade for the second time.
Extracurriculars activities include:
- Student Council
- National Honor Society
- Theatre Association
- Music Ensembles (band, orchestra, choir)
- Afro Appreciation Club
- Ecology Club (the oldest in the nation)
- Ski Club
- Academic Team
- Schools for Schools
- Robotics Club
- German Club
- French Club
- Spanish Club
- Japanese Club
- Photography Club
- Key Club
- Science Olympiad
- Gay-Straight Alliance
- Movie Critics Club
- Bowling Club
- Art Club
- Travis Cantrell (West campus), soccer player
- Dan Chisena (East campus), football player
- Dave Days (East campus), musician
- Pat Devlin (East campus), football player
- Becky Edwards (West campus), soccer player
- Arlen Harris, football player
- Brian Kelly, lacrosse player
- Tyler Kroft (East campus), football player
- Kyle Lauletta (East campus), football player
- Tina Nicholson, basketball player
- Daniel Ochefu (East campus), basketball player
- Jeff Parke, soccer player
- Scott Petri, Pennsylvania state representative
- Curt Schroder, Pennsylvania state representative
- Sara Shepard, author of Pretty Little Liars
- Paul Siever, football player
- Brian Sims, Pennsylvania state representative
- Tora Suber, basketball player
- Zack Steffen (West campus), soccer player
- Elijah Wilkinson (West campus), football player
- Greg Wilson, soccer player and coach
- "Downingtown Area Sd". Common Core of Data. National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- "Borough Map" (PDF). Downingtown Borough. Retrieved June 18, 2021. - Compare to the school maps.
- "Municipal Zoning Map" (PDF). Caln Township. August 30, 2018. Retrieved June 18, 2021. - Compare with address for Downingtown High West.
- "Home". Downingtown High School West. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
445 Manor Ave., Downingtown, PA 19335
- "Official Map". Uwchlan Township. Retrieved June 18, 2021. - Compare with addresses of Downingtown East.
- "Home". Downingtown East High School. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
50 Devon Drive, Exton, PA 19341
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Lionville CDP, PA" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved June 18, 2021.