|Canton||Dole-1 and 2|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Jean-Baptiste Gagnoux|
|38.38 km2 (14.82 sq mi)|
|• Density||620/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||196–341 m (643–1,119 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Dole was the capital of Franche-Comté until Louis XIV conquered the region; he shifted the parlement from Dole to Besançon. The university, founded by Duke Philippe le Bon of Burgundy in 1422, was also transferred to Besançon at that time.
In January 1573, Gilles Garnier was put to death after being found guilty of lycanthropy and witchcraft. He had confessed to murdering and cannibalizing at least six children. The 1995 film Happiness Is in the Field was set in Dole.
Dole is located on the river Doubs. The commune has a land area of 38.38 km2 (14.82 sq mi).
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
It is the largest commune in Jura, although the préfecture is Lons-le-Saunier.
- Simon Bernard (28 April 1779 – 5 November 1839)- Napoleonic aide de camp and notable engineer in the United States.
- Marie Émile Antoine Béthouart (17 December 1889 – 17 October 1982), soldier.
- Louis Pasteur (December 27, 1822 – September 28, 1895), microbiologist and chemist
- Suzanne Douvillier, pioneer dancer and choreographer, born in Dole
- Hubert-Félix Thiéfaine (July 21, 1948 − ), pop-rock singer and songwriter, born in Dole
- Michel Chapuis (organist) (1930- ), organist
Twin towns - sister cities
Dole is twinned with:
- "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- (in French) Henri Bertand in the video Henri Bertand se livre Archived February 6, 2009, at the Wayback Machine, tvdole.com
- (in French) Francis Guthleben in Imagine ce pays - Dôle, France 3 Bourgogne-Franche Comté
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Dole, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dole (Jura).|
- Official website (in French)