(cities in bold)
Vallée de l'Ernz
|• Total||204.51 km2 (78.96 sq mi)|
|Area rank||8th of 12|
|Highest elevation||525 m (1,722 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||175 m (574 ft)|
|• Rank||4th of 12|
|• Density||160/km2 (410/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||5th of 12|
Diekirch is a canton in the north of Luxembourg. Its capital is Diekirch. Neither the canton, town, nor commune of Diekirch should be confused with the former district of Diekirch, one of three administrative units in Luxembourg abolished in October 2015.
Diekirch Canton consists of the following ten communes:
- Vallée de l'Ernz
- On 1 January 2006, the former commune of Bastendorf (from Diekirch Canton) was merged with the former commune of Fouhren (from Vianden Canton) to create the commune of Tandel (in Vianden Canton). The law creating Tandel was passed on 21 December 2004. Therefore, Diekirch Canton ceded 24.44 km² of land to Vianden Canton.
- On 1 January 2012, the former communes of Ermsdorf and Medernach (both from Diekirch Canton) were merged to create the commune of Vallée de l'Ernz. The law creating the Vallée de l'Ernz was passed on 24 May 2011.
- "Population by canton and municipality 2018". www.statistiques.public.lu. Statistics portal of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "Mémorial A, 2004, No. 216" (PDF) (in French). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2006-08-15.
- "Mémorial A, 2011, No. 110" (PDF) (in French). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2012-01-02.