|Group 1 race|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||7f (1,408 metres)|
|Weight||9 st 1 lb|
3 lb for fillies
|St Mark's Basilica||Wembley||Thunder Moon|
The Dewhurst Stakes is a Group 1 flat horse race in Great Britain open to two-year-old colts and fillies. It is run on the Rowley Mile at Newmarket over a distance of 7 furlongs (1,408 metres), and it is scheduled to take place each year in October.
It is Britain's most prestigious race for juvenile horses. The leading participants usually become major contenders for the following season's Classics.
The event was founded by Thomas Gee, who was a close friend of Karl Pearson's father. It was established in 1875 and was originally titled the "Dewhurst Plate". It is named after Gee's Dewhurst Stud at Wadhurst. The first four winners all went on to win one or more of the next year's Classics.
The race was formerly staged during Newmarket's Champions' Day meeting in mid-October. It became part of a new fixture called Future Champions Day in 2011.
The Dewhurst Stakes was added to the Breeders' Cup Challenge series in 2011. The winner was given an automatic invitation to compete in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf. It was removed from the series in 2012.
Leading jockey (10 wins):
- Lester Piggott – Crepello (1956), Follow Suit (1962), Ribofilio (1968), Nijinsky (1969), Crowned Prince (1971), Cellini (1973), The Minstrel (1976), Try My Best (1977), Monteverdi (1979), Diesis (1982)
Leading trainer (8 wins):
- John Porter – Paradox (1884), Ormonde (1885), Friar's Balsam (1887), Orme (1891), Matchbox (1893), Vesuvian (1896), Hawfinch (1897), Frontier (1898)
- Frank Butters – Toboggan (1927), Mrs Rustom (1933), Hairan (1934), Bala Hissar (1935), Sultan Mahomed (1936), Umiddad (1942), Paper Weight (1944), Migoli (1946)
Leading owner (8 wins):
- HH Aga Khan III – Salmon-Trout (1923), Zionist (1924), Firdaussi (1931), Mrs Rustom (1933), Hairan (1934), Bala Hissar (1935), Umiddad (1942), Migoli (1946)
A ‡ designates a filly.
- The 1910 and 1988 races were dead-heats
- The 1939 race was cancelled due to the outbreak of World War II
- The 1987 running was cancelled because of extreme winds and structural damage
- Horse racing in Great Britain
- List of British flat horse races
- Recurring sporting events established in 1875 – this race is included under its original title, Dewhurst Plate.
- Racing Post:
- galopp-sieger.de – Dewhurst Stakes (ex Dewhurst Plate).
- ifhaonline.org – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – Dewhurst Stakes (2019).
- pedigreequery.com – Dewhurst Stakes – Newmarket.
- Abelson, Edward; Tyrrel, John (1993). The Breedon Book of Horse Racing Records. Breedon Books. pp. 209–212. ISBN 1-873626-15-0.
- YouTube Race Video https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfn5x2SD03q76qbURuaziXRLxQtsMt6jG