|Type||Private company limited by guarantee|
|Headquarters||The Building Centre,|
|Justin Sullivan (Chairman)|
Graham Watts OBE (CEO)
The Construction Industry Council (CIC) is the representative forum for professional bodies, research organisations and specialist business associations in the United Kingdom construction industry.
The first proposals for a Building Industry Council were made in 1985 (backed by the Chartered Institute of Building, Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers and the Institution of Structural Engineers) but came to nothing. A further attempt followed in 1987 with support from the Royal Institute of British Architects, and the BIC was publicly launched on 16 September 1987. However, it was more than a year before a first meeting, including the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, took place on 1 November 1988. The body was incorporated in May 1999, and with the Institution of Civil Engineers then a member, changed its name to the Construction Industry Council in April 1990.
The CIC provides a single voice for professionals across the built environment through its collective membership of 500,000 individual professionals and more than 25,000 firms of construction consultants. The breadth and depth of its membership means that CIC (like a small number of other bodies, including Constructing Excellence) can speak with authority on issues connected with construction without being constrained by the self-interest of any particular sector of the industry.
As representative of the views of professionals, it has a seat on the government/industry body, the Strategic Forum for Construction.
The Construction Industry Council's work is managed on a day-to day basis by a small secretariat which works under the direction of the Chief Executive who is responsible to the Council. The Executive Board acts as the main policy and strategy vehicle of the Council.
Chairmen of the Building or Construction Industry Council and their terms of office:
- Sir Edmund Happold: 1988–1991
- Sir Ian Dixon CBE: 1991–1994
- Robin Wilson CBE: 1994–1996
- Christopher Vickers CBE: 1996–1998
- Robin Nicholson CBE: 1998–2000
- Michael Dickson CBE: 2000–2002
- Turlogh O'Brien CBE: 2002–2004
- Stuart Henderson: 2004–2006
- The Rt Hon Nick Raynsford MP: 2006–2008
- Keith Clarke CBE: 2008–2010
- Gordon Masterton OBE: 2010–2012
- Jack Pringle: 2012–2014
- Tony Burton: 2014–2016
- John Nolan: 2016–2018
- Stephen Hodder: 2019-2021
- Justin Sullivan: 2021-2023
The Construction Industry Council has three categories of membership: Full; Associate; and Honorary Affiliate Members.
Full members, as of January 2021, are:
- Association of Consultant Approved Inspectors
- Association for Consultancy and Engineering
- Association for Project Management
- Association for Project Safety
- Association for Specialist Fire Protection
- British Approvals for Fire Equipment
- British Computer Society
- British Institute of Interior Design
- Building Research Establishment
- Building Services Research and Information Association
- Chartered Association of Building Engineers
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists
- Chartered Institute of Building
- Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering
- Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply
- Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers
- Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors
- Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation
- Construction Industry Research and Information Association
- Ground Forum
- Institute of Clerks of Works and Construction Inspectorate
- Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management
- Institution of Engineering and Technology - Built Environment Sector
- Institution of Fire Engineers
- Institution of Specialist Surveyors and Engineers
- Institution of Structural Engineers
- International Institute of Risk and Safety Management
- Local Authority Building Control
- Landscape Institute
- National House-Building Council
- Royal Institute of British Architects
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Royal Town Planning Institute
- Safety Assessment Federation
- "About Us". The Construction Industry Council. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "Sullivan becomes CIC chair". The Construction Index. 10 June 2021. Retrieved 10 June 2021.
- "Council and Executive Board". The Construction Industry Council. Archived from the original on 2016-10-18. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "Speaking with one voice". New Civil Engineer. 22 October 1998. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- "The Construction Industry Council". Companies House. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "CIC launches CICAIR Limited". Construction Industry Council. CIC. 27 March 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- CIC appoints Keith Clarke as new Chairman, 11 June 2008
- New Chairman for the Construction Industry Council, 10 June 2010
- CIC appoints three new members to its leadership team, 10 June 2011
- "CIC appoints Tony Burton as its new Chairman". CIC. 13 June 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "New chairman for Construction Industry Council (4 July 2016)". Planning and Building Control Today. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "CIC looks to Hodder". The Construction Index. 28 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- Lowe, Tom (17 June 2020). "CIC lines up successor for chairman's role". Building. Retrieved 9 June 2021.
- "CIC Members". Construction Industry Council. Retrieved 8 June 2018.