W. Sussex, England
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Sponsor||British Stallion Studs|
|Distance||1m 3f 44y (2,253 metres)|
colts and geldings
|Weight||9 st 0 lb|
5 lb for Group winners*
3 lb for Listed winners*
*after 31 August 2020
|Lone Eagle||Yibir||Gentleman Joe|
|Razeen||Elmaamul||Silca An' Key|
|Warrshan||Greenwich Papillon||Really Brilliant|
|Minster Son||Sheriff's Star||Al Mufti|
|Ibn Bey||Alwasmi||Classic Tale|
The Cocked Hat Stakes is a Listed flat horse race in Great Britain open to three-year-old colts and geldings. It is run at Goodwood over a distance of 1 mile 3 furlongs and 44 yards (2,253 metres), and it is scheduled to take place each year in May.
The event was established in 1970, and it was originally called the Predominate Stakes, although developed from a similar race called the Levin Down Stakes run up to 1969. It was named after Predominate, a three-time winner of the Goodwood Stakes from 1958 to 1960, and the winner of the Goodwood Cup in 1961.
For a period the Predominate Stakes was contested over 1 mile and 4 furlongs. It was cut to 1 mile, 1 furlong and 192 yards in 1988. A new distance of 1 mile and 3 furlongs was introduced in 2001.
The event was renamed the Cocked Hat Stakes in 2007. Its title recalls a light-hearted race staged at Goodwood in the 19th century, in which each rider had to wear a military hat.
Leading jockey (5 wins):
- Willie Carson – English Harbour (1978), Troy (1979), Prince Bee (1980), Morcon (1983), Minster Son (1988)
- Frankie Dettori - Dubai Millennium (1999), Roscius (2000), Rewilding (2010), Khalidi (2017), Private Secretary (2019)
Leading trainer (6 wins):
- Horse racing in Great Britain
- List of British flat horse races
- Recurring sporting events established in 1970 – this race is included under its original title, Predominate Stakes.
- Racing Post:
- pedigreequery.com – Predominate Stakes – Goodwood.
- pedigreequery.com – Cocked Hat Stakes – Goodwood.