Borough of Chesterfield
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|• Type||Non-metropolitan district|
|• Local Authority||Chesterfield Borough Council|
|• Mayor||Glenys Falconer (LD)|
|• Council Leader||Tricia Gilby (L)|
|• MPs||Toby Perkins (L)|
Lee Rowley (C)
|• Total||104,900 (Ranked 227th)|
|• Ethnicity||94.9% White British|
|Time zone||UTC+0 (Greenwich Mean Time)|
|ONS code||17UD (ONS)|
|OS grid reference|
The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, by a merger of the Municipal Borough of Chesterfield, Staveley Urban District and the Brimington part of Chesterfield Rural District.
The borough is situated around the town of Chesterfield and includes the suburban villages of Old Whittington, Brimington (which also has a parish council), Sheepbridge and New Whittington, and the town of Staveley which maintains a town council.
The adjacent districts of Bolsover and North East Derbyshire include towns and villages such as Clay Cross, Wingerworth, Calow, Holymoorside, Dronfield, Mastin Moor, Barlborough, Bolsover and Grassmoor. The borough is bounded to the counties of South Yorkshire to the north and northeast and Nottinghamshire to the east and southeast. Mansfield is 12 miles southeast, Worksop is 20 miles northeast and Buxton is 25 miles west.
Travel to Work Areas
Chesterfield and its surrounding borough are situated around multiple travel to work areas which span from the counties of Greater Manchester, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire as well as Derbyshire. The cities of Nottingham, Manchester, Derby, Wakefield and Sheffield are the closest cities to Chesterfield and its surrounding borough. 
Suburbs of Chesterfield include:
Chesterfield is currently overall controlled by the Labour Party. The borough is along with Bolsover District, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire Dales, High Peak and Bassetlaw District is a non-constituent member of the South Yorkshire Combined Authority.
- "The English Non-metropolitan Districts (Definition) Order 1972". Legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 3 May 2021.
- "Brimington Parish Council".
- "Staveley Town Council - Home". www.staveleytowncouncil.gov.uk.
- "YOUR GUIDE TO YORKSHIRE'S COMMUTER HUBS". Strata. Retrieved 27 August 2021.
- "Analysis of Commuter Patterns in Derbyshire 2011" (PDF). observatory.derbyshire.gov.uk. observatory.derbyshire.gov.uk. Retrieved 27 August 2021.
- Chesterfield Borough Council - Home
- Map and Details for Chesterfield Borough Council Local Authority
- chesterfield borough council Archives
- Chesterfield Borough Council
- The Borough of Chesterfield (Electoral Changes) Order 1999
- Your Councillors
- Story of Chesterfield
- Our Town in History
- Chesterfield | England, United Kingdom
- Genuki: Chesterfield, Derbyshire
- History of Chesterfield: Early and medieval Chesterfield
- Chesterfield - Town
- Chesterfield (District, United Kingdom) - Population Statistics, Charts, Map and Location
- Chesterfield Registration District
- Chesterfield District – DDA
- New executive directors appointed at Chesterfield Borough Council
- Chesterfield Borough Council
- The Derbyshire (District Boundaries) Order 1988