|Type||Urban Planning Agency|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Tamil Nadu|
|Headquarters||Egmore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Motto||Better Chennai is Our Motto|
|Parent agency||Municipal Administration and Urban Development|
The Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA), formerly known as the Madras Metropolitan Development Authority (MMDA), is the nodal planning agency of Chennai in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The CMDA administers the Chennai Metropolitan Region, spread over an area of 1,189 km2 (459 sq mi) and covers the districts of Chennai, Thiruvallur and Kancheepuram. It was set up for the purposes of planning, co-ordination, supervising, promoting and securing the planned development of the Chennai Metropolitan Area. It coordinates the development activities of the municipal corporations, municipalities and other local authorities.
The CMDA was constituted as an ad hoc body in 1972 under the Tamil Nadu Town and Country Planning Act 1971. It was formed as the nodal Town planning authority for the city of Madras (now Chennai) and its suburbs and became a statutory body in 1974. It is headed by minister for housing as its chairman.
The CMA falls in three Districts of the Tamil Nadu State viz. Chennai District, part of Thiruvallur District, and part of Kancheepuram District. The extent of the Chennai District (covered in Chennai Municipal Corporation area) is 176 km2 and comprises 55 revenue villages in five Taluks viz. (i) Fort-Tondiarpet Taluk, (ii) Perambur-Purasawalkam Taluk, (iii) Egmore-Nungambakkam Taluk, (iv) Mambalam-Guindy Taluk and (v) Mylapore-Triplicane Taluk. In Thiruvallur District out of total district area of 3427 km2, 637 km2. in Ambattur, Thiruvallur, Ponneri and Poonamallee taluks fall in CMA. In Kancheepuram Districtout of 4433 km2, 376 km2 in Tambaram, Sriperumbudur and Chengalpattu Taluks fall in the Metropolitan area. New construction in areas under the CMDA needs their approval to start work
Some of the notable projects undertaken by the CMDA include:
- Chennai Mofussil bus terminus, Koyambedu
- Wholesale vegetable market, Koyambedu
- Chennai Mass Rapid Transit System
- Outer Ring Road
- Mathavaram Mofussil Bus Terminus, Mathavaram
- Kilambakkam Mofussil Bus Terminus, Kilambakkam
- "About CMDA". CMDA. Chennai. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- Xavier Lopez, Aloysius (13 February 2013). "CMDA declared a centre for research". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority". CMDA Chennai. n.d. Archived from the original on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2010.