|First appearance||Daredevil #187 (October 1982) (1982)|
|Created by||Frank Miller|
The Chaste is a fictional heroic mystical martial arts enclave appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The organization was depicted as being led by Stick, who was created by Frank Miller in the pages of Daredevil.
The Chaste live in a remote wilderness location that can only be accessed by climbing "the Wall," a sheer cliff. The climb also serves as an entrance exam – those who fail the climb are not considered worthy. The primary function of the Chaste is to combat the Hand, an evil ninja group dominated by a demon.[volume & issue needed]
In the story arc detailing Elektra's death and resurrection, the members of the Chaste are listed as:
- Master Izo – Founder of the Chaste. Immortal martial artist, known to be more than 500 years old.
- Stick – Leader of the Chaste. He is known for his use of the bō (staff).
- Daredevil – Blind apprentice of Stick and former lover of Elektra. He is known for his use of his batons and heightened superhuman senses including hearing, touch and taste. He also possesses a radar sense.
- Stone – Stick's second-in-command and former lover. She can withstand any physical attack as long as she is aware of it in advance. In Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra, Stone is an elderly woman who taught Elektra the martial arts.
- Shaft – Uses a bow and arrow.
- Claw – Uses handheld metal blades (similar to Wolverine's adamantium claws) in combat.
- Flame – Power of pyrokinesis.
- Star – Uses shuriken.
- Wing – Power of levitation.
- Hollowman - Part of the Hollow species.
In other media
Members Stick and Stone both appear in the Netflix show Daredevil. Stick is portrayed by Scott Glenn, and Stone is portrayed by Jasson Finney. Their first appearance is in the show's seventh episode, appropriately named "Stick". Stick plays an integral part in the episode, while Stone's appearance is far more minor, having occurred within the last few minutes, and, during which, his face is not seen. Stick reappears in Season 2, which explores his ties with Elektra Natchios and Chaste's war against the ninja clan known as the Hand, led by Nobu. In flashbacks, it is revealed that Elektra is the Black Sky, a living weapon worshipped and coveted by the Hand. After disagreeing with Star (portrayed by Laurence Mason) over Elektra's future, Stick kills him and flees with her.
The Chaste return in The Defenders. The Chaste are revealed to be an army loyal to the Iron Fist, and serve K'un-Lun in their war against the Hand. Danny and Colleen are introduced trying to get information from a Chaste soldier named Shaft (portrayed by Marko Zaror) in Cambodia, but Elektra attacks them and kills him before he can give them anything. On their return to New York City, the two follow a trail that leads them to an empty warehouse littered with dead bodies, later revealed by Stick to have been the last members of the Chaste.
The Chaste appear in the 2005 film Elektra.
- Thomas, Leah (March 19, 2016). "Marvel Easter Eggs In 'Daredevil' Season 2 Connect The Dots In Ways You Wouldn't Expect". Bustle. Archived from the original on March 19, 2016. Retrieved March 20, 2016.
- DeFalco, Tom; Sanderson, Peter; Brevoort, Tom; Teitelbaum, Michael; Wallace, Daniel; Darling, Andrew; Forbeck, Matt; Cowsill, Alan; Bray, Adam (2019). The Marvel Encyclopedia. DK Publishing. p. 83. ISBN 978-1-4654-7890-0.
- Perry, Spencer (November 2, 2016). "Scott Glenn, Rachael Taylor, and Rosario Dawson Confirmed for The Defenders". ComingSoon.net. Archived from the original on November 3, 2016. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Sobolov, David [@@volobos] (July 29, 2015). "Here's my 'secret' scene from last year's season @Marvel's @Daredevil – I'm the voice of Stone" (Tweet). Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved March 3, 2016 – via Twitter.
- Turner, Brad (director); Douglas Petrie (writer) (April 10, 2015). "Stick". Marvel's Daredevil. Season 1. Episode 7. Netflix.
- Lyn, Euros (director); Lauren Schmidt Hissrich and Douglas Petrie (writer) (March 18, 2016). "The Dark at the End of the Tunnel". Marvel's Daredevil. Season 2. Episode 12. Netflix.
- Clarkson, S.J. (director); Douglas Petrie & Marco Ramirez (writer) (August 18, 2017). "The H Word". Marvel's The Defenders. Season 1. Episode 1. Netflix.
- Abraham, Phil (director); Douglas Petrie & Marco Ramirez (writer) (August 18, 2017). "Royal Dragon". The Defenders. Season 1. Episode 4. Netflix.