Charlene Denise White
22 June 1980
Greenwich, London, England
|Employer||ITV (2020, 2021–present)|
White was a presenter and senior broadcast journalist at BBC Look East, Radio 5 Live Morning Reports, BBC Three 60 Seconds and BBC News. She also had her own late-night talk show on BBC London 94.9.
In 2002, she joined Radio 1 Newsbeat and its sister digital station BBC Radio 1Xtra as a reporter. In 2005 she teamed up with DJ G Money as presenter on 1Xtra's two-hour news, magazine and documentary programme TX. She has also previously worked as a reporter and producer for ITV News Meridian on ITV Meridian in Kent.
In 2008, she joined ITN, as a newscaster for the ITV News at 5:30 on ITV. Additionally she would present three short opts which aired as part of GMTV (later Daybreak) for ITV News London on ITV London. She discontinued these roles on 10 October 2012, though remained as a presenter of ITV News London's main 6pm programme.
On 9 April 2014, White became the first black woman to present ITV News at Ten and was an occasional relief presenter until October 2015. She also occasionally presented the ITV Weekend News until 2019.
On 12 August 2020, White made her debut as a guest presenter of Loose Women. She returned on 11 January 2021, where it was announced she was to become a regular presenter, following Andrea McLean's departure from the show.
While presenting an ITV News bulletin, she refused to wear a Remembrance Day poppy, stating: "I prefer to be neutral and impartial on screen so that one of those charities doesn't feel less favoured than another." It was reported that following the decision to not wear a poppy, she faced racist and sexist abuse on Twitter.
White has two children with partner Andy, Alfie (born August 2017) and Florence (born October 2019).
|BBC Look East||Newsreader/reporter|
|ITV News Meridian||Reporter|
|2008–2019||ITV News London||Newsreader/relief presenter|
|2008–2012||ITV Morning News||Presenter|
|2014–2015, 2020–||ITV News at Ten||Occasional presenter|
|2014, 2016||Tonight||Guest reporter|
|2014–||ITV Lunchtime News||Relief presenter|
|ITV Evening News|
|2014–2019||ITV Weekend News||Presenter|
|2019–||ITV News London||Lead presenter|
|2020||Have I Got News For You||Panellist|
|2020, 2021–||Loose Women||Anchor|
- ITV News selects Nina Hossain as lead presenter of Lunchtime News Amy Wilson, Response Source, 30 May 2019
- Hegarty, Tasha (11 January 2021). "Loose Women announces Charlene White as new presenter". Digital Spy. Retrieved 11 January 2021.
- London Tonight – Meet the Team, ITV London Archived 15 August 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Me & My career: Charlene White Pride Magazine, 22 September 2010.
- "Loose Women's new anchor is REVEALED as journalist Charlene White". www.msn.com. Retrieved 19 January 2021.
- Campbell, Joel (11 January 2021). "Now you can't miss Charlene White on Loose Women". Voice Online. Retrieved 19 January 2021.
- Shane Hickey, "ITV news presenter hits back after abuse for not wearing poppy", The Guardian, 13 November 2013.
- ITV news anchor Charlene White announces birth of baby daughter Sara-Aisha Kent, Daily Mirror, 12 November 2019
- Mills, Kelly-Ann (25 October 2019). "Raheem Sterling joins Meghan and Stormzy in top 100 most influential black Brits". mirror. Retrieved 20 April 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lavender, Jane (17 November 2020). "Lewis Hamilton ends incredible year top of influential Black Powerlist 2021". mirror. Retrieved 19 January 2021.