|Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School|
2801 West 86th Street
|Type||Private Roman Catholic Non-profit Coeducational college-preparatory school|
|Motto||Men and Women for Others|
|Patron saint(s)||St. Jean de Brébeuf|
|Teaching staff||73.1 (FTE) (2017–18)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.2:1 (2017–18)|
|Campus size||65 acres (26 ha)|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Circle City Conference|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School (BJPS) is a private college-preparatory school founded by the Jesuits and located on the northwest side of Indianapolis. It is a part of the Midwest Province of the Society of Jesus and geographically located within the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis.
The school is not operated by the archdiocese.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2019)
In 2019, Charles C. Thompson, the Archbishop of Indianapolis, stated that the school would no longer be entitled to identify as Catholic, because administrators disobeyed him when renewing the contract of a teacher in a same-sex marriage. On September 23, the Holy See temporarily suspended Thompson's decree.
The demographic breakdown of the 816 students enrolled for the 2020–2021 school year was:
- Native American/Alaskan – 0%
- Hawaiian/Pacific islanders – 0.2%
- Asian - 4.4%
- Black/African American – 15.4%
- Hispanic – 6.4%
- White – 66.2%
- Multiracial – 7.4%
The school has 29 athletic teams, ranging from cross country to the newest addition, men's volleyball. In 2009, Brebeuf Jesuit completed construction of the $7 million Mark G. Kite Wellness Center. The 42,000-square-foot (3,900 m2) facility houses 2 weight rooms, 3 locker rooms, team meeting rooms, training room, gym, and athletic offices.
- 2000 boys' basketball state champs (3A)
- 2004, 2007 girls' basketball state champs (3A)
- 2010, 2011 boys' golf state champs
- 2006 girls' golf state champs
- 1979, 1980, 1981, 1983, 1984 girls' tennis state champs
- 2003, 2005, 2009, 2013 girls' volleyball state champs
- 2013 boys' hockey state champs (4A)
- 2015 girls' soccer state champs (2A)
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (June 2019)
- Fred Glass – Indiana University Athletic Director and former partner at Baker and Daniels.
- Alan Henderson (1991) – Former Indiana Hoosiers men's basketball player. Former NBA player for the Philadelphia 76ers, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks and Atlanta Hawks.
- Christopher L. Hodapp (1977) – Author and filmmaker. Notable authorship includes: Freemasons For Dummies and Solomon's Builders.
- Jim Hogshire (1976) – Author of Opium For The Masses and You Are Going To Prison.
- James Marten (2002) – Former NFL offensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys. Former NCAA football player at Boston College, 2003–2006.
- Ta'Shia Phillips – Former WNBA player for the New York Liberty and Washington Mystics. Former NCAA All-American for the Xavier Musketeers women's basketball team.
- Kevin Sumlin. (1982) – Current University of Arizona head football coach
- John Daniel Tinder (1968) – Former federal judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (2007–2015)
- "The Next Generation". Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School. October 30, 2018. Retrieved July 13, 2019 – via brebeuf.org.
- "Search for Private Schools – School Detail for Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 13, 2020.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved June 23, 2009.
- Kusmer, Ken (June 20, 2019). "Archdiocese: School with gay teacher can't use Catholic name". Associated Press. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Herron, Arika. "Vatican temporarily suspends Indianapolis archbishop's decision on Brebeuf Jesuit". The Indianapolis Star. Retrieved January 31, 2021.
- "Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School (C360)". inview.doe.in.gov. Retrieved February 7, 2021.
- "Capital Projects - Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School". Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School. p. 1. Retrieved January 23, 2011.
- "Athletics - Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School". Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School. p. 1. Retrieved January 23, 2011.
- IHSAA. "IHSAA State Championships by School". www.ihsaa.org. Archived from the original on September 13, 2016. Retrieved July 25, 2017.
- "Alan Henderson Stats". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- "James Marten Stats". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved June 26, 2019.
- "Brebeuf Jesuit Athletic Hall of Fame". brebeuf.org. Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- "John Daniel Tinder". repository.law.indiana.edu. Retrieved July 3, 2019.