|Birth name||Nwachukwu Ozioko |
|Also known as||Vast & Smash|
Bracket are a Nigerian afropop and R&B music duo composed of Obumneme Ali a.k.a. "Smash" and Nwachukwu Ozioko a.k.a. "Vast". Bracket started as a three-man music group before a member called Bistop dropped out. The duo are currently signed to Ape Planet and are best known for releasing hit singles like "Happy Day", "Yori-Yori" and "Ada Owerri" which received several positive reviews and airplay.
Vast and Smash grew up in Nsukka, Enugu State, where they used to attend campus shows while growing up. Vast has a diploma and a degree in Mass Communication from the Institute of Management Technology, Enugu and the University of Nigeria respectively while Smash has a diploma in Social Works and a degree in Psychology after graduating from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
The history of how the group began has been mixed in several stories and allegations. Bistop, a former member of the group claims to be the pioneer of the group after meeting Vast in a barbing salon back in 1999. They performed and attended several shows under a name called "Furious BV". In a press release, he said he left the group as a result of a collaborative effort of a former associate producer together with Vast and Smash. He also went on to claim that Smash was not a member of the group until 2003 after he met Smash through a friend.
- Happy Day (2006)
- Least Expected (2009)
- Cupid Stories (2011)
- Alive (2015)
Awards and nominations
|Year||Award ceremony||Award description||Result|
|2012||The Headies||Artiste of the Year||Won|
|2013||2012 Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Best Indigenous Artist/Group||Nominated|
|2013||2012 Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Best Collaboration of the Year||Nominated|
- Babatunde Ologe (27 August 2010). "ASUU Strike Saved Us – Bracket". News Nigeria. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Bracket: The Yori Yori duo". 9jaHob.com. 6 June 2009. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Mukosolu Nzom (3 November 2012). "Our pain, our gains, our story – Bracket". Vanguard. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Yori Yori Attracted Many Attentions – Bracket, Nigerian music Duo". GistMania. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "WE DIDN'T KNOW YORI YORI WOULD GET SO BIG – BRACKET". Nigeria Films. Archived from the original on 23 December 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Jaguda (2 April 2010). "The Real Story Behind The Group Bracket". Jaguda.com. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Olumide Adesida (14 July 2015). "Bracket unveils art, track list for new album". The Net. Archived from the original on 2015-08-10. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Nigeria's fast rising duo Bracket to receive honorary award in the U.S". Nigeria Music Network. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Biodun Ogundairo (23 April 2012). "Wande Coal, Bracket, Darey Lead HHWA 2010 Nominations". The Net. Archived from the original on 2015-07-31. Retrieved 29 July 2015.