|Parent agency||Australian Competition and Consumer Commission|
The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) is the regulator of the wholesale electricity and gas markets in Australia. It is part of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and enforces the rules established by the Australian Energy Market Commission.
The AER was established in July 2005. The next year all 13 bodies previously responsible for energy regulation had transferred responsibility to the AER. Decisions made by the regulator are subject to appeal.
The AER's current functions are focused on regulating the natural monopoly transmission and distribution sectors of the national electricity market, monitoring the wholesale electricity market and enforcing electricity market rules. The AER's regulatory functions and powers are conferred upon it by the national electricity law and the national electricity rules.
Under the national electricity law and national electricity rules, the AER's key responsibilities at the present time include:
- regulating the revenues of transmission network service providers by establishing revenue caps
- regulating the revenues of distribution network service providers
- monitoring the electricity wholesale market
- monitoring compliance with the national electricity law, national electricity rules and national electricity regulations
- investigating breaches or possible breaches of provisions of the national electricity law, rules and regulations
- instituting and conducting enforcement proceedings against relevant market participants
- establishing service standards for electricity transmission network service providers
- establishing ring-fencing guidelines for business operations with respect to regulated transmission services
- exempting network service providers from registration.
The AER board currently has five members who are statutory appointments. Part IIIAA of the Competition and Consumer Act provides that two of the members of the AER must be chosen by the Commonwealth, with three of the members chosen by the States and Territories.
Ms Clare Savage is the Chair of the AER, and Mr Jim Cox PSM is the Deputy Chair. The remaining members are Mr Eric Groom PSM, Ms Catriona Lowe and Mr Justin Oliver. The Chief Executive Officer of the AER is Dr Elizabeth Develin.
- Australian Energy Market Commission
- Australian Energy Market Operator
- Energy policy of Australia
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission