|Full name||Austin Aztex Football Club|
|Owner||Rene van de Zande|
|League||United Soccer League|
The Austin Aztex were a soccer team based in Austin, Texas, United States. Founded in 2011 as a member of the Premier Development League, the team played the 2015 season in the United Soccer League, the second tier of the United States soccer pyramid. This was the second team to carry the name Austin Aztex; the first were founded in 2008 and relocated to Orlando in 2010, with that ownership group eventually being awarded an MLS franchise of the same name in that city.
The 'new' Aztex played their home games at the 6,500-seat House Park just west of the downtown Austin core, until that stadium was severely damaged by the 2015 Memorial Day floods; for the remainder of that season, they played at Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex.
On October 2, 2015, the Aztex announced that, due to the fact that neither House Park nor Kelly Reeves met league stadium standards, and to difficulty in procuring a stadium that meets those standards, the team would be on hiatus during the 2016 USL season. The Aztex planned to resume competition in 2018 after the stadium issue was resolved but in the event, did not return to the USL.
USL Championship soccer returned to Austin with the newly formed Austin Bold FC beginning play in 2019 at their own stadium at the Circuit of the Americas. A Major League Soccer franchise was awarded to Precourt Sports Ventures, former owners of Columbus Crew SC, to begin play in 2021 as Austin FC.
Rebirth of the Aztex
The latest incarnation of the Austin Aztex was founded by David Markley, who was a minority owner of the original Aztex. The previous team's majority owners moved the organization to Orlando, Florida at the end of the 2010 season and renamed the team Orlando City SC.
In September 2011, Markley announced plans to create a new Austin Aztex team which would compete in the Premier Development League beginning in the 2012 season. The new Aztex played their first game on May 5, 2012 at Woodforest Bank Stadium, home of the Texas Dutch Lions, and defeated the hosts 4–0. The first Aztex goal was scored by midfielder Tony Rocha on a free kick in the 6th minute of play. The Aztex's first home game was played on May 19, 2012 against the El Paso Patriots before a crowd of 2,507. The Aztex rose to the occasion with a 6–1 win, with Kris Tyrpak providing three of the Aztex's six goals.
The reborn Aztex finished their first season with 9 wins, 5 losses, and 2 draws. They won their first playoff game against the Ocala Stampede but fell to Orlando City U-23's in the Southern Conference final.
Colors and badge
The Aztex kits were dark blue with gold numbers and gold trim. Their alternate kits were white with gold trim and numbering. Kits were provided by Admiral Sportswear. Emergo Group, an international regulatory consulting firm headquartered in Austin, served as the team's jersey sponsor from 2012 through 2014.
|Year||Division||League||Regular Season||Playoffs||Open Cup||Average Attendance|
|2012||4||USL PDL||2nd, Mid-South||Conference Finals||Did not qualify||1,269|
|2013||4||USL PDL||1st, Mid-South||Champions||2R||1,438|
|2014||4||USL PDL||1st, Mid-South||Conference Finals||2R||1,828|
|2015||3||USL||9th, Western||Did not qualify||4R||3,226|
- USL PDL Champions: 2013
- Southern Conference Champions: 2013
- Mid-South Division Champions: 2013, 2014
- http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/10/02/usls-austin-aztex-set-go-dark-2016-return-2017-following-stadium-issues. Retrieved February 2, 2016. Missing or empty
- https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/939198. Retrieved August 4, 2018. Missing or empty
- "All Ablog Austin". www.statesman.com. Archived from the original on 2011-09-27. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- "Austin Aztex in Control: Begin Season with Decisive 4–0 Victory – Austin Aztex". Austinaztex.com. 2012-05-06. Archived from the original on 2012-09-24. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- "Homecoming: Aztex Rout El Paso Patriots in 6–1 Win – Austin Aztex". Austinaztex.com. 2012-05-19. Archived from the original on 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- "2012 PDL Schedule – Austin Aztex". Austinaztex.com. 2013-08-04. Archived from the original on 2013-01-09. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- "United Soccer Leagues (USL)". Pdl.uslsoccer.com. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- "Emergo Group Becomes Top Partner and Jersey Sponsor – Austin Aztex". Austinaztex.com. 2012-03-05. Archived from the original on 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2013-09-08.