Area code 760 is a California telephone area code that was split from area code 619 on March 22, 1997. Area code 442 is an overlay of 760 that became effective on November 21, 2009. It encompasses much of the southeastern and southernmost portions of California. The area includes Imperial, Inyo, and Mono counties, as well as portions of San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Kern counties.
Area code 760 was split from 619 in 1997, which in turn had been split from area code 714 in 1982. Within a decade of its creation, however, the proliferation of cell phones and pagers left 760 strained to the point that a new area code was needed for the area. The initial plan was a further area code split, with the San Diego and Imperial portions moving to a new 442 area code. However, this met with protests from businesses who did not want to change their numbers for the second time in a decade. Ultimately, the California Public Utilities Commission decided that 442 would be added as an overlay to 760 instead, and since 2009 all users in the region have been required to include the area code even when dialing local calls.
At 46,666 square miles (120,860 km2), it is the largest area code in California with approximately 29% of the state served by area codes 760 and 442.
- Death Valley Junction (Inyo County)
- Kelso (San Bernardino County)
- Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley (Inyo County)
- Rate centers located in area codes 442/760:
- Big Pines
- Jackson Lake
- Apple Valley
- Big River
- Fort Irwin
- Halloran Springs
- Joshua Tree
- Lucerne Valley
- Twentynine Palms Marine Base
- Morongo Valley
- Mountain View Acres
- Nebo Center
- Newberry Springs
- Oro Grande
- Pinon Hills
- Running Springs
- Sunfair Heights
- Searles Valley
- Twentynine Palms
- Vidal Junction
- Yucca Valley
- "California area codes - Map, list, and phone lookup".
- 760/442 area code. California Public Utilities Commission. Accessed July 31, 2017.
- 760 Area Code - Location, Time Zone
- Report on the 760 Area Code by the California Public Utilities Commission, Telecommunications Division (warning: this link leads to a large PDF file)
|North: 530, 702/725, 775|
|West: 209, 559, 619/858, 626, 661, 808, 909, 951, 949||area code 442/760||East: 928|
|South: 619/858, Country code +52 in Mexico|
|Arizona area codes: 480, 520, 602, 623, 928|
|Nevada area codes: 702/725, 775|
|Hawaii area codes: 808|