In the Earth sciences, aggregrate has three possible meanings.
In mineralogy and petrology, an aggregate is a mass of mineral crystals, mineraloid particles or rock particles. Examples are dolomite rock, which is an aggregate of crystals of the mineral dolomite, and rock gypsum, an aggregate of crystals of the mineral gypsum. Lapis lazuli is a type of rock composed of an aggregate of crystals of many minerals including lazurite, pyrite, phlogopite, calcite, potassium feldspar, wollastonite and some sodalite group minerals.
Construction aggregate examples
Use in industry
- Neuendorf, K.K.E.; Mehl, Jr., J.P.; Jackson, J.A. (editors) (2005). Glossary of Geology (5th edition). Alexandria, Virginia: American Geological Institute. p. 11.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Abel, Mara; Lorenzatti, Alexandre; Rama Fiorini, Sandro; Carbonera, Joel (2015). Ontological analysis of the lithology data in PPDM well core model (PDF). PNEC Conferences. Houston. p. 3. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- Teichert, Curt (1965). Devonian Rocks and Paleogeography of Arizona (US Geological Survey Professional Paper 464) (PDF). Washington DC: USGS. p. 150.
- Jessica Elzea Kogel (2006). Industrial Minerals & Rocks: Commodities, Markets, and Uses (7th edition). SME. p. 522. ISBN 978-0-87335-233-8.
- T. Calligaro, Y. Coquinot, L. Pichon and B. Moignard (2011). "Advances in elemental imaging of rocks using the AGLAE external microbeam". Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B. 269 (20): 2364–2372. doi:10.1016/j.nimb.2011.02.074.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Allaby, Ailsa; Allaby, Michael (1999). A Dictionary of Earth Sciences (2nd edition). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-280079-5.
- Same Day Aggregates: Types of Aggregates - Same Day Aggregates, accessdate: March 25, 2017
- Indiana Mineral Aggregates Association | Carmel, IN: What are aggregates? - Indiana Mineral Aggregates Association | Carmel, IN, accessdate: March 25, 2017
- Introduction (1): What are Aggregates? « Herefordshire & Worcestershire Earth Heritage Trust: Introduction (1): What are Aggregates? « Herefordshire & Worcestershire Earth Heritage Trust, accessdate: March 23, 2017
- Define Aggregate at Dictionary.com: aggregate, accessdate: March 23, 2017
- Qasrawi, Hisham; Marie, Iqbal (2013). "Towards Better Understanding of Concrete Containing Recycled Concrete Aggregate". Advances in Materials Science and Engineering. 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/636034.
- What are aggregates?
- Concrete Aggregates — Geological Considerations
- What is aggregate? — The Bare Essentials of Concrete — Part 2 YouTube video (duration 4 minutes)
|This geology article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|