This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Ado Ahmad Gidan Dabino
|Born||1 January 1964|
|Notable awards||See below|
Ado Ahmad Gidan Dabino, MON is a Nigerian Hausa language writer, author, publisher, journalist, film producer, director and actor as well as NGO Activist. He wrote for about three decades on various topics. He has published fifteen novels. A novelist from northern Nigeria, he became a National Honor of Member of the Order of the Niger (MON) on 29 September 2014, from the administration of Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
Early life and education
Gidan Dabino was born in 1964 at Danbagina of Dawakin Kudu local government area of Kano State. He started his informal education from his father then to Zangon Barebari were he obtained Quran. Ado was admitted into Bayero University Kano to read Professional Diploma in Mass Communication.
Gidan Dabino is a present CEO, Gidan Dabino International Nigeria Ltd, a multimedia and marketing consultant firm based in the ancient city of Kano since 1990. He was Assistant Editor/Distribution Manager of Zamani a Hausa Magazine in 1997. He was also editor and publisher of Mumtaz magazine in 2000. In 2004 he was Editor -in-Chief of Hantsi Magazine under the Kano Chief Bureau Community. The newspaper that aimed at promoting reading and writing in indigenous language. From 2012 to date he is Contributing Editor of Muryar Arewa, a monthly Magazine of the Northern Communication and Media Service LTD.
Selected published novels
- In Da So Da Kauna 1&2, Published by Gidan Dabino Publishers Enterprises, Kano. 1991. ISBN 978-309283-9 and ISBN 978214900-4
- Hattara Dai Masoya 1 & 2, Published by Gidan Dabino Publishers ISBN 978-309285-5
- Masoyan Zamani 1& 2, Published by Gidan Dabino Publishers Enterprises, Kano. 1993 ISBN 978-214901-2 and ISBN 978-214902-0
- The Soul of My Heart (Translation of in Da so Da Kauna), Published by Gidan Dabino Publishers Enterprises, Kano. 1993 ISBN 978-214903-9
- Wani Hani Ga Allah 1 & 2, Published by Gidan Dabino Publishers Enterprises, Kano. 1994 ISBN 978-214906-3 and ISBN 978-214907-1
- Nemesis (Translation of Masoyan Zamani), Published by Gidan Dabino Publishers Enterprises, Kano. 1995 ISBN 978-214905-5
- Kaico!, Published by Gidan Dabino Publishers Enterprises, Kano. 1996 ISBN 978-214933-0
- Duniya Sai Sannu, Published by Gidan Dabino Publishers Enterprises, Kano. 1997
- Malam Zalimu, (A Hausa play and winner 1st prize prestigious award of 2009 Engineer Mohammed Bashir Karaye Prize in Hausa Literature), Published by Gidan Dabino Publishers Enterprises, Kano. 2009
- Dakika Talatin Published by Gidan Dabino Publishers Enterprises, Kano. 2015 ISBN 978-808215-7
Gidan Dabino is among pioneers of establishing Hausa Film Industry in northern Nigeria known as Kannywood. He wrote the script for many Hausa movies, produced and directed some. He also appeared as main character in In da So da Kauna (1995), an adapted film from his own novel of the same name. His recent film, Juyin Sarauta was the most awarded Hausa movie for the year 2017 and 2018. He appears as Sarki Yusufa of Jadarwa. He won two awards of best actor and one nomination.
Selected films either wrote, directed, produced or notable roles:
- In Da So Da Kauna 1, 2 and 3 Writer, Producer, Actor (1994)
- Kowa Da Ranarsa 1 & 2 Producer, Writer (1998)
- Cinnaka Producer (1999)
- An Ci Moriyar Ganga 1 Producer (1999)
- Mugun Nufi Producer (1999)
- Karshen Makirci Writer (1999)
- Muktar 1 & 2 Producer, Actor (2000)
- Kadaran Kadahan Producer (2000)
- Kyan Alkawari Producer (2000)
- Kana Taka Producer (2000)
- Ki Yafe Ni 1& 2 Director (2001)
- Sarka 1 Producer (2001)
- Juhaina Producer (2002)
- Asiya Producer (2002)
- Tsautsayi Producer (2005)
- Wahami Producer (2006)
- Sandar Kiwo Writer, Producer (1999)
- Juyin Sarauta Producer, Actor (2016)
The following are among the awards received by Gidan Dabino:
- Best Actor in Leading Role: Amma Award Season 5, 2018
- Nominee, Best African Actor: Zuma Film Festival, 2017
- Member of the Order of the Niger (MON) in recognition of his outstanding virtues and in appreciation of his services to contributions to the country, Nigeria. 2014
- Award of Honour in recognition of efforts and outstanding contributions toward uplifting Hausa Lierature. 2013
- Ist prize position
- Engineer Mohammed Bashir Karaye Prize in Hausa Literature (Play Category) 2009
- "Gidan Dabino, Ado Ahmad [WorldCat Identities]". Worlcat. 10 January 2018.
- Kano, Ibrahim Musa Giginyu (31 August 2019). "How Hausa Day was born – Gidan Dabino". Daily Trust. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- "LIST OF 2013/2014 NATIONAL HONOURS AWARD RECIPIENTS – spotlight reports". spotlight reports. 29 September 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- "FG releases list of National Award recipients 2013/2014 – Vanguard News". Vanguard News. 18 September 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- "Tsohuwar Taska: Littafin 'In Da So Da Kauna' — Leadership Hausa Newspapers". leadershipayau.com. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- Juyin Sarauta, retrieved 25 October 2018
- "Fim Din Juyin Sarauta Ya Zama Zakaran Gwaji Dafi *Mu Na Fata Ya Karbu A Kasuwa Kamar Yadda Ya Karbu A Gasa –Ramat – Leadership Hausa Newspapers". leadershipayau.com (in Hausa). Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Ba Isa A Isa ne gwarzon jaruman Kannywood ba". BBC News Hausa. 18 May 2018. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "Awards". zumafilmfest.com. Archived from the original on 20 July 2018. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "LIST OF 2013/2014 NATIONAL HONOURS AWARD RECIPIENTS – NigerianMuse | NigerianMuse". nigerianmuse.com. Archived from the original on 17 November 2018. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "Blogger: User Profile: Ado Ahmad Gidan Dabino". blogger.com. Retrieved 25 October 2018.