|50th Tony Awards|
|Date||June 2, 1996|
|Location||Majestic Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Nathan Lane|
The 50th Annual Tony Awards was broadcast by CBS from the Majestic Theatre on June 2, 1996, hosted by Nathan Lane. The show was historic for being the 50th annual Tony Award ceremony since its inception in 1947.
Presenters included: Bea Arthur, Edward Albee, Christine Baranski, Harry Belafonte, Matthew Broderick, Diahann Carroll, Hume Cronyn, Nanette Fabray, Robert Goulet, Gregory Hines, Uta Hagen, James Earl Jones, John Lithgow, Liza Minnelli, Patricia Neal, Sarah Jessica Parker, Bernadette Peters, John Rubinstein, Jane Seymour, Ron Silver, Lily Tomlin, Ben Vereen, Eli Wallach, Ray Walston, Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber.
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum ("Comedy Tonight" – Nathan Lane and Company);
- The King and I ("Shall We Dance?" – Lou Diamond Phillips, Donna Murphy, and children);
- Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk ("Taxi"/"Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk" – Savion Glover, Ann Duquesnay, Jeffrey Wright and Company);
- Big ("Fun" – Daniel Jenkins, Jon Cypher and Company);
- State Fair ("All I Owe I-Oh-Way" – John Davidson, Andrea McArdle, and Company);
- Rent ("Seasons of Love"/"La Vie Boheme" – Anthony Rapp, Taye Diggs, Adam Pascal, Idina Menzel and Company);
- Chronicle of a Death Foretold;
- Swinging on a Star ("Swinging on a Star" – Company)
Award winners and nominees
Winners are in bold
- Special Regional Theatre Award
- Alley Theatre, Houston, Texas
Multiple nominations and awards
These productions had multiple nominations:
The following productions received multiple awards.