|2020 Stanford Cardinal football|
|2020 record||4–2 (4–2 Pac-12)|
|Offensive coordinator||Tavita Pritchard (3rd season as OC, 11th overall season)|
|Defensive coordinator||Lance Anderson (7th season as DC, 14th overall season)|
|Home stadium||Stanford Stadium|
|2020 Pac-12 Conference football standings|
|No. 21 USC xy||5||–||0||5||–||1|
|Championship: Oregon 31, USC 24|
Rankings from AP Poll.
The 2020 Stanford Cardinal football team represented Stanford University in the 2020 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The Cardinal were led by tenth-year head coach David Shaw. They played their home games at Stanford Stadium as members of the North Division of the Pac-12 Conference.
On August 11, the Pac-12 Conference initially canceled all fall sports competitions due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On September 24, the conference announced that a six-game conference-only season would begin on November 6, with the Pac-12 Championship Game to be played December 18. Teams not selected for the championship game would be seeded to play a seventh game.
On December 13, with a record of 3–2 and one game left to play, the program announced that it would not participate in any bowl game. The Cardinal won their final game, finishing their season with a 4–2 record.
They finished the 2019 season 4–8, 3–6 in Pac-12 play, to finish last place in the North Division. This was Stanford's worst record since 2007 and the first time that they did not earn bowl eligibility since 2008.
Pac-12 media day
Pac-12 media poll
In the Pac-12 preseason media poll, Stanford was voted to finish fourth in the Pac-12 North division.
|Media poll (North Division)|
|Predicted finish||Team||Votes (1st place)|
Stanford had games scheduled against William & Mary (September 5), Notre Dame (October 10), and BYU (November 28), but canceled these games on July 10 due to the Pac-12 Conference's decision to play a conference-only schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
|November 7||4:30 p.m.||at No. 12 Oregon||ABC||L 14–35||—|
|November 14||12:30 p.m.||Colorado||ESPN||L 32–35||1|
|November 27||1:30 p.m.||at California||FOX||W 24–23||—|
|December 5||1:00 p.m.||at No. 22 Washington||FOX||W 31–26||278|
|December 12||7:30 p.m.||at Oregon State||ESPNU||W 27–24||—|
|December 19||4:00 p.m.||at UCLA||ESPN||W 48–47 2OT||0|
|Name||Position||Stanford Years||Alma mater|
|David Shaw||Head Coach||14th||Stanford (1994)|
|Lance Anderson||Defensive Coordinator / Outside Linebackers Coach||14th||Idaho State (1996)|
|Tavita Pritchard||Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks||8th||Stanford (2009)|
|Pete Alamar||Special Teams Coordinator||5th||Cal Lutheran (1983)|
|Ron Gould||Running Backs Coach||4th||Oregon (1987)|
|Morgan Turner||Tight Ends Coach||8th||Illinois (2009)|
|Kevin Carberry||Offensive Line Coach||4th||Ohio (2005)|
|Bobby Kennedy||Wide Receivers Coach||3rd||Northern Colorado (1989)|
|Duane Akina||Defensive Backs Coach||7th||Washington (1979)|
|Eric Sanders||Inside Linebackers Coach||1st||UC Davis (2005)|
|Diron Reynolds||Defensive Linemen Coach||4th||Wake Forest (1994)|
|No. 12 Ducks||7||7||14||7||35|
|No. 22 Huskies||0||3||13||10||26|
- Date: December 5, 2020
- Game time: 1:00 p.m. PST
- Game weather: Sunny, 55 °F (13 °C)
- Game attendance: 278
- Referee: Michael Mothershed
- TV announcers (FOX): Joe Davis and Mark Helfrich
at Oregon State
- Date: December 19, 2020
- Game time: 4:05 p.m. PST
- Game attendance: 0
- Referee: Michael Mothershed
- TV announcers (ESPN): Beth Mowins, Kirk Morrison, and Taylor McGregor
|CFP||Not released||NR||NR||Not released|
Players drafted into the NFL
|2||45||Walker Little||OT||Jacksonville Jaguars|
|3||67||Davis Mills||QB||Houston Texans|
|3||76||Paulson Adebo||CB||New Orleans Saints|
|4||114||Drew Dalman||C||Atlanta Falcons|
|5||179||Simi Fehoko||WR||Dallas Cowboys|
- Pac-12 Conference. "Pac-12 announces resumption of football, basketball & winter sports seasons". Pac-12 Conference. Retrieved 24 September 2020.
- "Pac-12 Conference postpones all sport competitions through end of calendar year". pac-12.com. August 11, 2020. Retrieved August 11, 2020.
- "Pac-12 announces resumption of football, basketball & winter sports seasons". pac-12.com. September 24, 2020. Retrieved September 24, 2020.
- "Teams opting out of bowls in 2020: Stanford becomes the latest school to decline a bowl invite". news.yahoo.com. Retrieved December 13, 2020.
- Bromberg, Nick. "Pac-12 follows Big Ten's lead and won't play non-conference games in 2020". Yahoo News. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- "Saturday's Washington State vs Stanford football game cancelled because of COVID-19 cases". KomoNews. Retrieved November 21, 2020.
- "Pac-12 statement regarding Stanford vs. Oregon State football game". Pac-12.com. Retrieved December 1, 2020.
The Pac-12 announced today that in order to comply with the newly issued Santa Clara Public Health Department directives and related restrictions on sport competitions, the December 12 football game between Stanford and Oregon State will now take place at Reser Stadium in Corvallis.
- "2020 Stanford Football Schedule". Stanford Athletics. Retrieved August 5, 2020.