Rajya Sabha election in Tamil Nadu was the indirect election to the Rajya Sabha which is the upper house of the Parliament of India to elect members from the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The election were held for six seats on 27 June 2013. The elections for which voting was held for the first time in 17 years.
The term of six members of Rajya Sabha from Tamil Nadu expired on 27 July. Hence, the Election Commission of India decided to hold a biennial election for the six seats. The candidates were indirectly elected by the Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs) of Tamil Nadu using a single transferable vote with proportional representation.
Party Position in the State assembly
|Name of the Party||Number of Members in the Legislative Assembly|
|All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam(ADMK)||151|
|Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam(DMDK)||29 - 7* = 22|
|Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam(DMK)||23|
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)(CPI(M))||10|
|Communist Party of India(CPI)||8|
|Indian National Congress(INC)||5|
|Pattali Makkal Katchi(PMK)||3|
|Manithaneya Makkal Katchi(MMK)||2|
|All India Forward Bloc(AIFB)||1|
- 7 dissident MLAs of DMDK are supporting ADMK
Each candidate should have 34 number of MLAs. Therefore, the party which has 34 MLAs can elect one member. The party which has less than 34 MLAs can get support from other parties.
|Candidate||Party||Support from other parties|
|V. Maitreyan||ADMK||Has required votes|
|K. R. Arjunan||ADMK||Has required votes|
|T Rathnavel||ADMK||Has required votes|
|R Lakshmanan||ADMK||Has required votes|
|D. Raja||CPI||ADMK, CPI(M), AIFB|
|Kanimozhi||DMK||MMK, PT, CONGRESS|
The results to the election were declared on June 27.
|K R Arjunan||36||Yes|
Three MLAs of PMK boycotted the elections.
- "Tamil Nadu's Rajya Sabha elections present new partnerships". NDTV.com. 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2013-06-21.
- "Rajya Sabha polls in Tamil Nadu today, Kanimozhi's re-election bid gets boost after Congress' support". India Today. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- PTI (2013-06-04). "Election Commission to notify Rajya Sabha poll on Jun 10, voting on 27th". Economic Times. Archived from the original on 2013-10-15. Retrieved 2013-06-21.
- "Kanimozhi, D. Raja, Maitreyan elected to Rajya Sabha". Business Line. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
|This Indian elections-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|