|Host city||Mar del Plata, Argentina|
|Events||309 in 34 sports|
|Stadium||Estadio José María Minella|
The 12th Pan American Games were held in Mar del Plata, Argentina, from March 12 to March 26, 1995. After 44 years, this was the Pan American Games first return to the country that hosted the first Games, in 1951.
The seaside resort city of Mar del Plata hosted the XII Pan American Games. The city of 600,000 is located 400 km south of Buenos Aires. Welcoming 5,144 athletes from 42 countries of PASO community, events were held in 34 different sports. The Games were held early by Northern Hemisphere standards, but at the end of summer in the Southern Hemisphere.
One Mar del Plata submitted a bid to host the 1995 Pan American Games that was recognized by the Pan American Sports Organization (OPEPA). Honoring an agreement that was made after Mar del Plata withdrew their bid for the 1991 Pan American Games, OPEDA selected Mar del Plata as the host city for the 1995 games at the ODEPA Assembly in Havana, Cuba in October 1989.
Mar del Plata
- Estadio José María Minella: Opening and Closing ceremonies, Football
- "Justo Roman" Athletic stadium: Athletics
- Polideportivo Islas Malvinas: Basketball, Volleyball
- Municipal Velodrome: Cycling
- Pan American Field Hockey Stadium: Field Hockey
- "Alberto Zorrilla" Natatorium: Swimming
- Patinódromo Municipal: Roller sports (skating)
- Laguna de los Padres: Rowing, Canoeing
Mascot and logo
The mascot, Lobi, is a sea lion, an animal commonly found in the waters of Mar de Plata. He stands for the host city and is displayed with welcoming open arms. The words in the poster are constructed to imply a launching point or podium.
To sort this table by nation, total medal count, or any other column, click on the icon next to the column title.
|1||United States (USA) a||170||145/144||110||425/424|
|4||Argentina (ARG) 1||40||45||74||159|
- Spence, Mike (12 March 1995). "Pan American Games -- As Games Grow, Stature Diminishes". The Seattle Times. Seattle, Washington, United States. Archived from the original on 4 July 2020. Retrieved 4 July 2020.
- "Juegos Panamericana Mar del Plata 1995" (in Spanish). 1 June 2016. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- LA84 Foundation Archived 2008-07-06 at the Wayback Machine
| XII Pan American Games
Mar del Plata