|Host city||Caracas, Venezuela|
|Events||269 in 23 sports|
The 1983 Pan American Games were held in Caracas, Venezuela from August 14 to August 29, 1983. The games were the first major international competition to include relatively accurate steroid testing.
Host city selection
Four cities submitted bids to host the 1983 Pan American Games that were recognized by the Pan American Sports Organization (PASO); however, only one city, Hamilton, Ontario submitted their bid on time. On April 23, 1977, Caracas, Venezuela was selected over Hamilton, Canada in a two-city vote to host the IX Pan American Games by the PASO at its general assembly in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
To sort this table by nation, total medal count, or any other column, click on the icon next to the column title.
|1||United States (USA) a||137/148||92/101||56/53||285/302|
|2||Cuba (CUB) a||79/78/80||53/51/49||43/45||175/174|
|3||Canada (CAN) a||18/22||44/42||47/55||109/119|
|5||Venezuela (VEN) 1 a||12/14||26/25||35/37||73/76|
|Daniel Núñez||Cuba||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
|Alberto Blanco||Cuba||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
|Jeff Michaels||United States||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
|Guy Greavette||Canada||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
|Jacques Oligier||Chile||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
|Michael Vian||Canada||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
|Enrique Montiel||Nicaragua||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
|José Adarmes||Venezuela||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
|Mario Durruty||Cuba||Fencing||Anabolic steroid|||
|Juan Núñez||Dominican Republic||Athletics||Fencamfamine|||
|Francisco López||Argentina||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
|Caballero Dolcey||Colombia||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
|Fernando Vera||Chile||Cycling||Anabolic steroid|||
|Juan De la Cruz||Dominican Republic||Athletics||Anabolic steroid|||
|José Lozada||Puerto Rico||Weightlifting||Anabolic steroid|||
The 1983 Games' mascot was a lion holding a 1983 sign named Santiaguito.
- "Opening a fiestra at Snafu Games". The Vancouver Sun. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. 15 August 1983. Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- Taylor, William N., Anabolic Steroids and the Athlete, Second Edition, 2002, McFarland & Company, p. 150.
- "Canadian women shine in softball win," Toronto Star, August 25, 1983, p. E4.
- "Caracas hará Panamericanos" [Caracas has Pan American]. El Tiempo (in Spanish). San Juan, Puerto Rico. AFP. 23 April 1977. p. 2-B. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "Caracas shaky as Games' site". Winnipeg Free Press. Hamilton, Canada. CP. 26 April 1977. p. 48. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- Ernesto Rodrigues III: IGUALITO QUE CARACAS 1983 Archived 2015-07-27 at the Wayback Machine, olimpicosargentinos.com.ar, 26 July 2015
- Games spoiled by controversy, The Cavalier Daily, 30 August 1983
- Brigitte Berendonk: Doping-Dokumente. Von der Forschung zum Betrug. Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1991, ISBN 3-540-53742-2
- Caracas Crackdown On Drugs Continue, The Palm Beach Post, 26 August 1983
- Frank Litsky: Chilean Cyclist Is Disqualified, NY Times, 26 August 1983
- "IX Pan American Games - Caracas (Venezuela) 1983". Quadro de Medalhas. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
| IX Pan American Games