|1977 Sacramento State Hornets football|
|Conference||Far Western Conference|
|1977 record||0–10–1 (0–4–1 FWC)|
|Home stadium||Hornet Stadium|
|1977 Far Western Conference football standings|
|No. 3 UC Davis $^||5||–||0||–||0||11||–||1||–||0|
|Cal State Hayward||2||–||2||–||1||6||–||3||–||1|
|San Francisco State||2||–||3||–||0||5||–||5||–||0|
Rankings from Associated Press poll
Sacramento State competed in the Far Western Conference (FWC).[note 2] The Hornets were led by second-year head coach Glenn Brady. They played home games at Hornet Stadium in Sacramento, California. The team finished the season winless, with a record of no wins, ten losses and one tie (0–10–1, 0–4–1 FWC). Overall, the team was outscored by its opponents 71–379 for the season, and included shutouts by scores of 0–56 vs. Louisiana Tech and 0–75 vs. Nevada.
|September 10||at Louisiana Tech*||L 0–56||14,700|||
|September 17||at Santa Clara*||L 5–37|
|September 24||Cal Poly[note 3]*||L 7–31|
|October 1||Cal State Los Angeles||L 10–13||2,000|||
|October 8||at Humboldt State||T 21–21|
|October 15||at UC Davis||L 0–28|
|October 22||San Francisco State||L 7–19|
|October 29||at No. 7 Nevada*||L 0–75|
|November 5||at Chico State[note 4]||L 7–36|
|November 12||Cal State Hayward[note 5]||L 14–27|
|November 19||Cal State Northridge*||L 0–36|
Team players in the NFL
- The official name of Sacramento State has been California State University, Sacramento since 1972. However, it is still commonly known as Sacramento State.
- The Northern California Athletic Conference (NCAC) was known as the Far Western Conference (FWC) from its founding in 1925 to 1982.
- The official name of Cal Poly has been California Polytechnic State University since 1947. However, it is more commonly known as either Cal Poly San Luis Obispo or just Cal Poly.
- The official name of Chico State has been California State University, Chico since 1972. However, it is still commonly known as Chico State.
- California State University, East Bay was known as California State University, Hayward from 1972 to 2004.
- "Hornets beaten up 56–0". The Sacramento Bee. September 11, 1977. Retrieved June 30, 2021 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Fullerton Routs Northridge, 45-14". The Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, California. October 2, 1977. p. III-10. Retrieved February 6, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Cal St.-Sacramento Yearly Results". Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- "1978 NFL Draft". Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "Sacramento St. Players/Alumni". Retrieved April 3, 2017.
- "Draft History: Sacramento State". Retrieved April 3, 2017.