|1977 Cal State Northridge Matadors football|
|Conference||California Collegiate Athletic Association|
|1977 record||7–3–1 (1–1 CCAA)|
|Home stadium||North Campus Stadium|
|1977 California Collegiate Athletic Association football standings|
|Cal Poly $||2||–||0||–||0||6||–||4||–||0|
|Cal State Northridge||1||–||1||–||0||7||–||3||–||1|
|Cal Poly Pomona||0||–||2||–||0||2||–||8||–||0|
Cal State Northridge competed in the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA). The 1977 Matadors were led by second-year head coach Jack Elway.[note 1] They played home games at North Campus Stadium in Northridge, California. Cal State Northridge finished the season with a record of seven wins, three losses and one tie (7–3–1, 1–1 CCAA). The Matadors outscored their opponents 264–179 for the season.
|September 10||San Francisco State*||W 17–10||5,000|
|September 17||at Cal State Hayward[note 2]*||L 3–13|
|September 24||at No. T–9 Nevada*||W 22–19||7,210|
|October 1||at Cal State Fullerton*||L 14–45||2,214|
|October 8||at Cal State Los Angeles*||W 7–6||2,000|
|October 15||San Diego*||W 56–20|
|October 29||at Cal Poly Pomona||W 19–0||2,500|
|November 5||Cal Poly[note 3]||L 14–42|
|November 12||US International[note 4]*||W 52–0||5,203|
|November 19||at Sacramento State[note 5]*||W 36–0|
|November 23||Santa Clara*||T 24–24|
Team players in the NFL
The following finished their college career in 1977, were not drafted, but played in the NFL.
|Player||Position||First NFL Team|
|Lon Boyett||TE||1978 San Francisco 49ers|
- After coaching at Cal State Northridge from 1976–1978, Jack Elway would serve as head coach for the San Jose State Spartans (1979–1983) and Stanford Cardinal (1984–1988). Jack was the father of Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway.
- California State University, East Bay was known as California State University, Hayward from 1972 to 2004.
- The official name of Cal Poly has been California Polytechnic State University since 1947. However, it is more commonly known as either Cal Poly San Luis Obispo or just Cal Poly.
- Alliant International University was formed in 2001 via the merger of United States International University (USIU) and California School of Professional Psychology.
- The official name of Sacramento State has been California State University, Sacramento since 1972. However, it is still commonly known as Sacramento State.
- "Cal Lutheran Passes Beat San Diego". The Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, California. September 11, 1977. p. III-14. Retrieved March 31, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Nevada Information Guide" (PDF). p. 129. Retrieved February 24, 2017.
- "Fullerton Routs Northridge, 45-14". The Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, California. October 2, 1977. p. III-10. Retrieved February 6, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "San Diego St. Bows, 34-14". The Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, California. October 9, 1977. p. III-16. Retrieved March 31, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Cal Lutheran Makes It Six in a Row". The Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, California. October 30, 1977. p. III-13. Retrieved February 24, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Cal Lutheran Brawls and Wins". The Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, California. November 13, 1977. p. III-14. Retrieved March 16, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "1977 - Cal St.-Northridge". Retrieved January 21, 2017.
- "1978 NFL Draft". Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- "Cal State-Northridge Players/Alumni". Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- "Draft History: Cal State-Northridge". Retrieved March 18, 2017.