|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Italy|
|Registered domains||3,403,228 (28 February 2021)|
|Registration restrictions||Must be a resident of an EU country to register. Domain name must be at least three characters long.|
|Structure||Registration is permitted at second level; there are some third-level names beneath second-level labels, but these are not much used|
|Documents||How to register .it domain.|
|Dispute policies||Dispute procedure|
|Registry website||Italy NIC|
Because it is also the English word it, and many words end with -it, this can commonly be used in the construction of domain hacks, such as play.it (now owned by CBS Radio), write.it, make.it or rabb.it. Reddit also uses the "redd.it" domain hack as a shortener and a redirect.
- .gov.it – The official governmental domain.
- .edu.it – The official domain for public schools. It was introduced in June 2018.
- Domains in the form comune.<locality>.it and comune.<locality>.<province code>.it are reserved to Italian municipalities. The former variant is normally used by the province capital towns, the latter by smaller towns. If there are blank spaces in the town name, they can either be omitted or replaced by a hyphen sign.
- Domains in the form provincia.<province>.it are reserved to Italian provinces.
- Domains in the form regione.<region>.it are reserved to Italian regions.
Reserved domains are not limited to the provided examples: any domain name which appears to be linked to an administrative geographical subdivision is reserved. E.g. the town of Tuoro sul Trasimeno have the following domains reserved: Tuoro.Perugia.it, Tuoro.PG.it, TuorosulTrasimeno.Perugia.it, Tuoro-sul-Trasimeno.Perugia.it, TuorosulTrasimeno.PG.it, Tuoro-sul-Trasimeno.PG.it, TuoroTrasimeno.Perugia.it, Tuoro-Trasimeno.Perugia.it, TuoroTrasimeno.PG.it, Tuoro-Trasimeno.PG.it. However, only comune.Tuoro-sul-Trasimeno.PG.it is actually registered as the official town hall web site. Furthermore, and even if it is not explicitly listed, it is not possible to privately register a domain such as comune-di-tuoro-sul-trasimeno.it.
- "Portale Statistiche Registro .it". stats.nic.it. Retrieved 2021-03-01.
- "Reserved and non-assignable domains". Archived from the original on June 4, 2012. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- "Moduli e Documenti" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-27. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "Domains reserved for local authorities". Archived from the original on June 30, 2012. Retrieved March 3, 2019.