Zhudong Township in Hsinchu County
|• Township Magistrate||Xu Zhao-zhang (KMT)|
|Hanyu Pinyin||Zhúdōng Zhèn|
Zhudong Township is an urban township in central Hsinchu County, Taiwan. Part of Hsinchu Science Park is in Zhudong. Also located in Zhudong is the main campus of the Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI). Zhudong is approximately 20 minutes drive from Hsinchu town center on one of two freeways, route 3 North, which passes nearby and route 68 East which proceeds directly through Zhudong.
Literally, Zhudong means "bamboo east" but in this context, zhu is short for "Hsinchu". Thus, Zhudong lies east of Hsinchu (cf. Zhubei which lies north [bei] of Hsinchu.) The former name of the area was Chhiū-kí-nâ (樹杞林), literally "Ardisia sieboldii forest" with the present name adopted under Japanese rule in 1920.
- Area: 53.51 km2 (20.66 sq mi)
- Population: 96,831 (January 2017)
Shangping, Ruifeng, Ruanqiao, Yuandong, Shangguan, Dongning, Zhongzheng, Daxiang, Zhongshan, Nanhua, Donghua, Shanghua, Jilin, Renai, Zhudong, Zhongxiao, Rongle, Ronghua, Wufeng, Liufeng, Sanchong, Erchong, Touchong, Yuanshan and Kehu Village.
Nearby is the mountain of Feifong Shan and Buddhist temples. A well-prepared path with steps and tiled and wooden walkways enables walking to the peak and the ridge overlooking Zhudong in all weather.
Bus stations in the townships are:
- Xiagongguan Bus Station of Hsinchu Bus
- Zhudong Bus Station of Hsinchu Bus
- Cheng Yung-chin, Magistrate of Hsinchu County (2001-2009)
- Danny Wen, writer
- Lai Pi-hsia, musician
- Lu Shao-chia, conductor
- 臺灣地區鄉鎮市區級以上行政區域名稱中英對照表 Glossary of Names for Administrative Divisions. Ministry of the Interior. 26 March Minguo 104 (2015). Retrieved 30 September 2017. (in Chinese)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on November 3, 2013. Retrieved November 2, 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- 106年1月 新竹縣人口統計報表 [Hsinchu County population table, January 2017]. hsinchu.gov.tw (in Chinese). Hsinchu County Gov't. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zhudong Township, Hsinchu County.|
|This article about a location in Taiwan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|