Zhang Jing (張靜)
2 February 1977
|Other names||Jingchu Zhang, Xiao Jingchu|
|Alma mater||Central Academy of Drama|
Zhang Jingchu (Chinese: 张静初, born 2 February 1977) is a Chinese film actress. Zhang is known for China Film Media Award Best Actress in the 2005 Peacock (2005 film), which was shown at the Berlin International Film Festival. Zhang most recently appeared in the 2018 film Project Gutenberg.
Zhang's acting career began in both film and television in 2000. In 2005, she transitioned into an international films. Zhang came into international prominence through director Gu Changwei's debut film Peacock, which won the Silver Bear at the 2005 Berlin International Film Festival. She was picked from 1,000 applicants for her role as a petulant, conniving homebound daughter who tries to chart her own course in life. Following which, she got a role in Tsui Hark's martial arts film Seven Swords, which opened the Venice Film Festival in August 2005.
Zhang shed her gentle and quiet image to play the rebellious and gusty protagonist in Huayao Bride in Shangri-la (2005), and won the Beijing College Student Film Festival for Best Actress. She was named one of "Asia's Heroes" by Time magazine.
In 2006, Zhang was cast as the tough-talking heroine in the Finnish-Chinese kungfu movie Jade Warrior, directed by A. J. Annila. The same year, she starred in romantic drama The Road directed by Lu Chuan. Zhang won over the audience with the maturity she shows in her acting, and her extraordinary ability to touch hearts by interpreting the different stages of a Chinese woman's life. She won the Best Actress award at the 30th Cairo International Film Festival.
Zhang then starred in Derek Yee's smug drugging film Protégé (2007). Her portrayal of woman who is forced to struggle between drug addiction and herself won praises from both the audience and critics. The same year, she made her Hollywood film debut in Rush Hour 3 alongside Jackie Chan.
She then starred in Ann Hui's film Night and Fog, a social commentary film which sheds light on Hong Kong immigrants from China. Her portrayal of the protagonist Ling, a woman who struggles with an abusive husband won rave reviews from critics and was described as a "turning point" in her career. The same year, she starred in Red River where she played a mentally-challenged Vietnamese girl.
Zhang next starred in Feng Xiaogang's disaster film Aftershock (2010), playing a girl who separates from her mother after the Tangshan earthquake and becomes a rescue worker. Zhang also takes part in earthquake relief efforts in real life. She is the ambassador of the charity SiyuanAOC Rainbow Plan, founded by China Siyuan Foundation for Poverty Alleviation and AOC Monitor.
Zhang then took a six-month break from the entertainment industry, stating that she was disappointed by the commercial nature of her recent roles. During this time, she served as a jury member at the Shanghai International Film Festival. She returned to the screen in the romantic comedy Laucana (2012) co-starring Shawn Yue.
In 2013, she starred in the action thriller Switch alongside Andy Lau. She also starred in the Italian film The Mercury Factor alongside Luca Barbareschi. In April 2013, Zhang was on location in Jerusalem, Israel, where she starred in The Old Cinderella. Since China and Israel established diplomatic relationship, this was the first joint film project. Zhang next featured in Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation (2015) alongside Tom Cruise. The same year, she was cast in the film adaptation of the best-selling novel, The Three-Body Problem.
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Role||Notes|
|2000||Affection Double Days||情义两重天||Mengmeng|
|2003||Suo Miya's Choice||索密娅的抉择||Suo Miya|||
|Huayao Bride in Shangri-la||花腰新娘||Fengmei|
|Seven Swords||七剑||Liu Yufang|
|2006||The Road||芳香之旅||Li Chunfang|
|Rush Hour 3||尖峰時刻3||Soo Yung Han|
|2008||Beast Stalker||证人||Ann Gao|||
|Night and Fog||天水圍的夜与霧||Wong Hiu-ling|
|2010||The Double Life||A面B面||Liu Yue|||
|Flirting Scholar 2||唐伯虎點秋香2之四大才子||Qiuxiang|||
|Aftershock||唐山大地震||Fang Deng / Wang Deng|
|City Under Siege||全城戒備||Xiuhua|||
|2011||The Man Behind the Courtyard House||守望者：罪惡迷途||Hong|||
|The Law of Attraction||萬有引力||Xuelian|||
|Casino Moon||賭城月色||Casino dealer||Short film|
|Running Shadows||我的影子在奔跑||Tian Jiafang|||
|The Mercury Factor||危情黑吃黑||Jiazhen|
|2014||The Old Cinderella||脱軌時代||Xu Ke|||
|2015||Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation||碟中諜5||Lauren|
|I Am Somebody||我是路人甲||Cameo|
|2016||Murder at Honeymoon Hotel||蜜月酒店殺人事件||Pei Er|||
|For a Few Bullets||快手枪手快枪手||Li Ruoyun|||
|Sky on Fire||沖天火||Gao Yu|||
|2018||Project Gutenberg||无双||Yuan Wen|||
|2019||Love Song to the Days Forgone||东北往事之二十年||Cui Zhu|||
|Wings Over Everest||冰峰暴|
|TBA||The Three-Body Problem||三体||Ye Wenjie|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Role||Notes|
|2000||Sword Master||三少爷的剑||Zhu Qianqian|
|2001||Qin Shi Huang||秦始皇||Princess Mindai|||
|Love Dictionary||爱情宝典||Zhan Shujuan|
|The Great Love in Your Life||你的生命如此多情||Yan Yu|||
|2002||The Cricket Master||蟋蟀大師||Xiaocui|
|Imperial Guards||英雄||Ye Min|||
|2005||Purple Jade and Gold Sand||紫玉金砂||Pan Lingyu|||
|2006||The 36th Chamber of Shaolin||南少林三十六房||Li Menglin|
|2016||Let's Fall in Love||咱们相爱吧||Lin Xiaoxiao|||
|2005||12th Beijing College Student Film Festival||Best Actress||Huayao Bride in Shangri-la|||
|11th Huabiao Awards||Outstanding New Actress|||
|14th Shanghai Film Critics Awards||Best Actress||Peacock|||
|2006||6th Chinese Film Media Awards||Best Actress|||
|30th Cairo International Film Festival||Best Actress||The Road|||
|2009||16th Beijing College Student Film Festival||Students' Choice Award for Favorite Actress||Red River|||
|2013||5th China Image Film Festival||Best Supporting Actress||Switch|||
|2016||3rd Jackie Chan Action Movie Awards||Best Action Movie Actress||For a Few Bullets|||
- "Zhang Jingchu". chinesemov.com. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- Mok, Rachel (October 1, 2013). "Zhang Jingchu's film roles take her all over the world". South China Morning Post. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- "孔雀"绽放十年绚烂 看张静初9大亮点角色. Mtime (in Chinese). July 25, 2010.
- "The next Gong Li?". China Daily. February 16, 2007.
- 张���初拍《七剑》是种幸运 在吴宇森视线内(图). Sina (in Chinese). September 23, 2004.
- 张静初出演《花腰新娘���中的野蛮少女-美凤. Sohu (in Chinese). December 9, 2004.
- 张静初凭《花腰新娘》荣登大学生影展影后(图). Sina (in Chinese). May 16, 2005.
- "TIMEasia Magazine: Asia's Heroes - Zhang Jingchu". Time magazine. October 3, 2005.(Login required for complete article. Nov 2018)
- "Finnish mythology meets Chinese martial arts". China Daily. October 30, 2006.
- "A path well travelled". China Daily. February 10, 2006.
- "Chinese Film Wins Top Prize in Cairo". China.org.cn. December 11, 2006.
- "Addictive viewing". China Daily. February 16, 2007.
- "John Rabe hits the screens". Global Times. April 29, 2009.
- "Night and Fog -- Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. March 23, 2009.
- "Hui's return to Tin Shui Wai more in line with popular perception". China Daily. May 9, 2009.
- "Why Zhang's River is not a current theme". China Daily. April 7, 2009.
- 张静初拍《唐山大地震》 突破艺术片女主角. Mtime (in Chinese). December 25, 2009.
- "Who's in". China Daily. September 10, 2009.(Bad link as of Nov 2018)
- "Chinese star refreshed after New York career break". China Daily. June 14, 2011.
- "A blackout comedy that's a knockout film". China Daily. June 1, 2012.
- 《富春山居图》张静初剧照 女强人的温柔一面. Mtime (in Chinese). May 14, 2013.
- "The Mercury Factor: Palm Springs Review". The Hollywood Reporter. September 1, 2014.
- "Zhang Jingchu talks about new film". China.org.cn. July 23, 2013. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- "Zhang Jingchu films on location in Jerusalem". Reuters. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- "Chinese Actress Zhang Jingchu Accepts 'Mission' With Tom Cruise (EXCLUSIVE)". The Hollywood Reporter. October 6, 2014.
- "Nebula-nominated Three-Body Problem completes filming". China Daily. August 6, 2015.
- "'Once Upon a Time in Northeast China' blood flowed in snow…". City On Fire. November 3, 2017.
- "NEWS: Koji Yakusho, Zhang Jingchu to star in 'Wings Over Everest' (exclusive)". Screen Daily. December 1, 2017.
- 张静初《索密娅的抉择》首播. Sina (in Chinese). August 13, 2007.
- 张静初变"女仆" 《七夜》挑战恐怖尺度. Sina (in Chinese). August 2, 2005.
- 《证人》宣传 苗圃与张静初斗靓露背抢风头. People's Daily (in Chinese). November 19, 2008.
- "Movie reel". China Daily. July 25, 2009.
- "《A面B面》曝光偷情剧照 张静初积怨爆发". Mtime (in Chinese). April 28, 2010.
- "Fun flirting again". China Daily. July 3, 2010.
- 张静初影坛沉浮数年 靠《全城戒备》跻身一线. Mtime (in Chinese). June 23, 2010.
- 《守望者》张静初变老板娘 自称底层的性感. Mtime (in Chinese). March 15, 2011.
- "The Law of Attraction Hits Cinemas on Friday". China Daily. April 8, 2011.
- 张静初情迷《赌城月色》. Netease (in Chinese). May 25, 2012.
- 张静初《我的影子在奔跑》定档1.16. Mtime (in Chinese). December 26, 2017.
- "Zhang Jingchu challenges herself in 'The Old Cinderella'". China.org.cn. March 6, 2014.
- 《蜜月酒店杀人事件》曝新预告 张静初成中国版"金福南". Mtime (in Chinese). May 10, 2016.
- 《快手枪手快枪手》定档7.15首曝海报 林更新张静初领衔主演. Mtime (in Chinese). April 26, 2016.
- 《冲天火》男神天团燃爆上海 吴彦祖张孝全领衔 首曝预告定档贺岁档. Mtime (in Chinese). June 11, 2016.
- 冯德伦导演《侠盗联盟》首曝剧照 刘德华让雷诺领衔跨国"猫鼠游戏" 舒淇张静初杨祐宁等卡司抢镜. Mtime (in Chinese). September 4, 2016.
- 史上涉案金额最大的犯罪片《无双》来袭. Mtime (in Chinese). September 7, 2018.
- “东北版复仇者联盟”也定档了！. Mtime (in Chinese). March 29, 2019.
- 《秦始皇》花絮：小妖精范冰冰和性格女张静初. Sina (in Chinese). February 26, 2007.
- 出演《你的生命如此多情》 张静初戏中自有颜如玉. Sina (in Chinese). March 18, 2001.
- 电视剧《英雄》"叶敏"张静初不愿谈英雄(图). Sina (in Chinese). May 23, 2003.
- 电视剧《紫玉金砂》印小天张静初再度饰演情侣. Sina (in Chinese). November 10, 2005.
- 《咱们相爱吧》张静初与袁弘感情错乱. Sina (in Chinese). November 30, 2016.
- 《不良人》曝女帝造型 张静初霸气美艳. People's Daily (in Chinese). June 24, 2016.
- 第十一届华表奖颁奖完全获奖名单. Sohu (in Chinese). August 29, 2005.
- 上海影评人奖揭晓 陆川再拿最佳导演奖(附图). Sina (in Chinese). June 16, 2005.
- 华语电影传媒大奖梁家辉张静初称帝封后. Sina (in Chinese). April 27, 2006.
- 第16届北京大学生电影节周迅封后甄子丹称帝. Sina (in Chinese). April 7, 2009.
- "第五届英国万像国际华语电影节提名影片". International Television & Films Program Exchange Center. October 13, 2013.
- 成龙电影周落幕 《叶问3》获三奖成最大赢家. Tencent (in Chinese). June 17, 2016.