Yuki men at the Nome Cult Farm, ca. 1858
|569 alone and in combination (2010)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( California)|
|English, formerly Yuki|
|Related ethnic groups|
The Yuki (also known as Yukiah) are an indigenous people of California, whose traditional territory is around Round Valley, Mendocino County. Today they are enrolled members of the Round Valley Indian Tribes of the Round Valley Reservation.
The Yuki language is no longer spoken. It is distantly related to the Wappo language, forming the Yukian family with it. The Yuki people had a quaternary (4-based) counting system, based on counting the spaces between the fingers, rather than the fingers themselves.
Scholarly estimates have varied substantially for the pre-contact populations of most native groups in California, as historians and anthropologists have tried to evaluate early documentation. Alfred L. Kroeber estimated the 1770 population of the Yuki proper, Huchnom, and Coast Yuki as 2,000, 500, and 500, respectively, or 3,000 in all. Sherburne F. Cook initially raised this total slightly to 3,500. Subsequently, he proposed a higher estimate of 9,730 Yuki.
In the 2010 census, 569 people claimed Yuki ancestry. 255 of them were full-blooded.
- "2010 Census CPH-T-6. American Indian and Alaska Native Tribes in the United States and Puerto Rico: 2010" (PDF). www.census.gov.
- "Yuki." Ethnologue. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- Harrison, p.173
- Kroeber, p.883
- Cook, 1976 p.172
- Cook, 1956 pp.106, 108
- Cook, Sherburne F. 1956. "The Aboriginal Population of the North Coast of California", Anthropological Records, 16:81-130. University of California, Berkeley.
- Cook, Sherburne F. 1976. The Conflict between the California Indian and White Civilization. University of California Press, Berkeley.
- Harrison, K. David 2007. When Languages Die. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kroeber, A. L. 1925. Handbook of the Indians of California. Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin No. 78. Washington, D.C.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yuki.|