|"You Don't Know How It Feels"|
|Single by Tom Petty|
|from the album Wildflowers|
|B-side||"Girl on LSD"|
|Released||December 3, 1994|
|Format||CD, compact cassette, vinyl|
|Genre||Blues rock, roots rock, country rock|
|Tom Petty singles chronology|
"You Don't Know How It Feels" is a song and the lead single from Tom Petty's 1994 album Wildflowers. It reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and No. 13 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming his last Top 40 hit. The track features candid lyrics describing the songwriter's desire for personal and professional autonomy.
MTV, VH1 and many radio stations aired a censored version of "You Don't Know How It Feels," taking the word "roll" out of "let's roll another joint", as well as a version that played the word "joint" backwards. A version replacing the word "roll" with "hit" was also made. The music video won the MTV Video Music Award for Best Male Video in 1995. The girl in the video is Raven Snow; she also appeared in several episodes of Zalman King's Red Shoe Diaries and the film Delta of Venus as lounge singer Leila.
Single track listings
- "You Don't Know How It Feels"
- "House in the Woods"
- "Girl on LSD"
- "Mary Jane's Last Dance"
- "Something in the Air"
"Girl on LSD"
Petty originally intended the B-side of the single, "Girl on LSD", to appear on Wildflowers, but Warner Bros. refused because it was too controversial. In the song Petty sings about being in love with multiple girls on different drugs: marijuana, cocaine, LSD, beer, crystal meth, china white (a slang term for heroin) and coffee. In the chorus Petty states: "Through ecstasy, crystal meth and glue/I found no drug compares to you/all these pills, all this weed/I dunno just what I need."
|Australian Singles Chart||98|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||3|
|UK Singles Chart||119|
|US Billboard Hot 100||13|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary||22|
|US Billboard Mainstream Rock||1|
|US Billboard Mainstream Top 40||8|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||95|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||23|
|US Billboard Hot 100||61|
- Greenwald, Matthew. You Don't Know How It Feels. Allmusic. Retrieved on 2009-04-09.
- MTV.com |Video: "You Don't Know How It Feels"
- "The ARIA Australian Top 100 Singles – Week Ending 29 Jan 1995". Imgur.com (original document published by ARIA). Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Chart Log UK 1994–2010 > Rodney P. – The Pussycat Dolls". zobbel.de. Retrieved 2016-12-10. N.B. This site displays 'uncompressed' (no exclusion rules applied) UK singles chart peaks between November 1994 and May 2001. "You Don't Know How It Feels" peaked at #91 on the 'compressed' chart, with exclusion rules applied.
- "RPM 100 Hit Tracks of 1994". RPM. Retrieved November 23, 2017.
- "RPM 100 Hit Tracks of 1995". RPM. Retrieved November 26, 2017.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1995". Retrieved 2010-08-27.