Union Pacific Railroad Depot
Union Pacific Roundhouse, Turntable and Machine Shop
Union Pacific Passenger Station
|Location||121 W. 15th St.|
|Architect||Van Brunt & Howe|
|Architectural style||Romanesque Revival|
|NRHP reference #||73001934 (depot);|
|Added to NRHP||January 29, 1973 (depot);|
July 24, 1992
|Designated NHL||February 15, 2006 (depot)|
The Cheyenne Depot Museum is a railroad museum located in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Located inside the historic Union Pacific Railroad depot, this depot was built sometime between 1886 and 1887. Typically the Cheyenne Depot Museum hosts an annual Steam Train Excursion in July.
The station is built from blocks of sandstone quarried and transported from Ft. Collins, Colorado. The Depot stands directly down the street from, and facing the, Wyoming State Capitol building, signalling its historic significance in the city and state.
It received major renovations in 1922 to lengthen the building and a redecoration 1929. From 2001 to 2006, another renovation to the depot is being made including a $6.5 million US dollar improvement provided by the City of Cheyenne and plaza built in front of the Depot. This plaza hosts a variety of music and events throughout the year.
Amtrak's San Francisco Zephyr ceased serving this station directly in 1979 in favor of a new station in Borie, south of Cheyenne. This eliminated a time-consuming backup move in and out of the station. Passengers were bused between Borie and Cheyenne.
The Old West Museum and Cheyenne Frontier Days made an agreement which established the Cheyenne Depot Museum, Inc. as a 501(c)3 Corporation non-profit organization. The depot is under lease from the city of Cheyenne to this corporation for 25 years.
The nearby roundhouse, where the Union Pacific Railroad stores its fleet of historic steam locomotives.
- Union Pacific 844
- Union Pacific 3985
- Union Pacific 4014
- Union Pacific 6936
- Cheyenne Frontier Days
- Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum
|Preceding station||Union Pacific Railroad||Following station|
toward Council Bluffs
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. January 23, 2007.
- "Union Pacific Railroad". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- "Other Board Actions Tied to Route Restructuring". Amtrak NEWS. 6 (10): 5. September 1979.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Union Pacific Depot (Cheyenne, Wyoming).|
- Cheyenne Depot Museum Website
- The Rotary Steam Plow # 900082 in Cheyenne
- Union Pacific Depot National Historic Landmark at the Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office
- Union Pacific Roundhouse Turntable and Machine Shop at the Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office
- Union Pacific Passenger Station, 121 West Fifteenth Street, Cheyenne, Laramie, WY at the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)