Lord Caithness was born at Ravenscraig Castle, Kirkcaldy, Scotland second son to William Sinclair, 1st Earl of Caithness and Marjory Sutherland, daughter of The Honourable Sir Alexander Sutherland of Dunbeath.
By Margaret Keith, Lord Caithness had two children:
- John Sinclair, 3rd Earl of Caithness (d. 1529), married Elizabeth Sutherland (d. 1527).
- Alexander Sinclair of Stempster, whose daughter Helen married Donald Mackay, 11th of Strathnaver.
- William Sinclair, a natural (illegitimate) son.
- Henderson, John W.S (1884). Caithness Family History. Edinburgh: David Douglas. pp. 2-5. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- Mackay, Angus (1906). The Book of Mackay. 25 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh: Norman MacLeod. p. 93. Retrieved 9 December 2020.CS1 maint: location (link)
- Burke's Landed Gentry of Scotland, Kirkpatrick entry
- Kirkpatrick of Closeburn, 1858
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Earl of Caithness
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|