|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the WikiProject Film/Film awards task force page.
|WikiProject Film / Awards||(Rated Project-class)|
Need Help with Women in Film Crystal + Lucy Awards
I've posted this on the Women in Film Crystal + Lucy Awards talk page already...but I need help with establishing notability and then figuring out how to best cross reference the fact that the recipients received an award on their wikipedia page. I have been asked because I am a member of Women in Film not to make changes myself since I have a conflict of interest. We are the biggest entertainment awards ceremony specifically highlighting gender diversity in the entertainment industry. I am a new editor and have become very fearful of making any contribution to Wikipedia because of the response I have received from other editors.
Here is what I posted for notability on the talk page- I wonder is that notable enough?
I did not create the Crystal + Lucy page, only per the banner had added to it to improve it and cross referenced with the actor pages. Here are just a few links where Women in Film and specifically our awards are mentioned. I guess if it's notable enough, someone will take down the banner flagging it for potential deletion?
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/06/image/la-ig-scene-20100606 http://www.hollywoodbest.info/2011/06/03/elizabeth-taylor-to-receive-posthumous-honor/ http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118021998?refCatId=4080 (regarding the vision award) http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/2010/06/05/women_in_film_crystals_off_with_stilettos_on_with_mentors/ http://www.octv.com/email.video.php?link_id=AA1981732197 http://www.hulu.com/watch/30253/access-hollywood-women-in-films-crystal-and-lucy-awards https://secure.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/gallery/gallery.jsp?slideShowId=497754 http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118004828
Hopefully that is enough to be considered notable. Any help or advice from editors who are experts on articles in WikiProject Film or other Entertainment WP is much appreciated.G-Long42 (talk) 09:51, 4 June 2011 (UTC)
The current name for this page is Empire Awards and I've noticed that the Academy Award, Golden Globe Award and others go with the single form, while others such as Goya Awards go for the plural form. Do we have an agreed upon form for how award names should be? --Gonnym (talk) 04:28, 14 October 2011 (UTC)
Not sure if this task force is even active but i'll continue with a followup question. Until now (most of the time anyways), the article names for film awards were "<Film Award> for <Award Category>" - for example - Empire Award for Best Actor. But how should article names for special awards be? for example - Empire had awards such as "Actor of our Lifetime Award" "Heath Ledger Tribute Award" "Icon of the Decade Award" "Movie Masterpiece Award". Should they follow the same format? "Empire Award for Icon of the Decade", "Empire Award for Movie Masterpiece"? I'd really appreciate the input on this. --Gonnym (talk) 09:49, 1 November 2011 (UTC)
In the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to improve Wikipedia's coverage of the Canadian Genie Awards. The articles have been left in an extremely poor state for a very long time — for example, some of them still fail to actually list the winners or nominees for some entire categories — and it's long past time to bring them up to contemporary Wikipedia standards of formatting, referencing and completeness. However, I received little response when I asked for assistance at WP:CANTALK, so I thought I'd ask here if anybody's willing to help out.
The biggest chunk of the work involves getting the formatting up to scratch, and copying information over from IMDb in categories where it's still missing. Since most of the possible referencing will involve digging into Canadian newspaper databases, however, most people here won't be able to help much with that. Since I have direct access to Toronto Star and The Globe and Mail archives through the Toronto Public Library, I can look after this part on my own — but I'd appreciate any help that anyone's willing to provide on the basic formatting and missing data pieces.
I've written up a basic overview of the scope of the project, which you can read at Wikipedia:Canadian Wikipedians' notice board/Genies cleanup project. At present, the following articles are the ones in need of attention:
- Awards by year: 5th Genie Awards, 6th Genie Awards, 7th Genie Awards, 8th Genie Awards, 9th Genie Awards, 10th Genie Awards, 11th Genie Awards, 12th Genie Awards, 13th Genie Awards, 14th Genie Awards, 15th Genie Awards, 16th Genie Awards, 17th Genie Awards, 18th Genie Awards, 20th Genie Awards, 21st Genie Awards, 22nd Genie Awards, 23rd Genie Awards, 25th Genie Awards , 26th Genie Awards, 27th Genie Awards, 28th Genie Awards, 29th Genie Awards, 30th Genie Awards.
- Awards by category: Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Director, Animated Short, Art Direction & Production Design, Cinematography, Costume Design, Editing, Live Action Short, Original Score, Original Song, Screenplay (Adapted & Original), Sound, Sound Editing.
I want to stress that I need help with this badly — I seem to be the only person willing to take it on at all, but I can't do it all by myself. So I'd be most grateful if a few people would be willing to assist; even if you don't know that much about Canadian film, mostly all you need to do is some cutting and pasting, so that I can concentrate on the more complicated referencing stuff. Thanks. Bearcat (talk) 01:16, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- This is a very general project page rather than a task force, and is basically for resolving disputes and addressing the MOS. You'd probably get a better response at Wikipedia:WikiProject Film/Film awards task force and Wikipedia:WikiProject Film/Canadian cinema task force which have a declared interest in those article, or maybe contacting recent editors at those articles and seeing if they would interested in collaborating. Betty Logan (talk) 05:27, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- Bearcat, I'd love to help with this, time permitting. I'm currently working on the Swedish Guldbagge Awards, with article creation, etc. Looking at some of those award cermonies, they have no sources. Is there a good online resource for the nominations outside of IMDB? Does the Genie Awards homepage have the nomination info? Thanks. Lugnuts Dick Laurent is dead 07:30, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- They do have an awards and nominees database — it's at this link. Just for the record, I personally find it very poorly structured and hard to use, though you can certainly grab missing information from there instead of IMDb if you prefer. In terms of actively referencing our articles, however, I'm concentrating on pulling out media coverage from the Toronto Star and The Globe and Mail archive databases instead of citing stuff directly to the ACCT database itself — for example, I've already added sources to 4th Genie Awards and 19th Genie Awards in the process of upgrading those. Again though, I'm willing to look after the referencing piece myself, since I do have access to a couple of appropriate newspaper databases that you or other participants might not have — but they'd get reffed up a lot faster if I could dedicate myself specifically to that, instead of having to leapfrog all over the place like a kid with ADHD (*grin*) Bearcat (talk) 15:55, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- I'll try to help, if I can. I can't commit to anything specific right now, though. Shawn in Montreal (talk) 16:55, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks Bearcat. Remember, there's no deadline, but I appreciate the need to get things like this fixed! Lugnuts Dick Laurent is dead 18:49, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- Well, true, there's no deadline — but at the same time, in practice things like this don't actually get fixed until one or more people actually commit themselves to getting them fixed. Just as another example of the problem, on 4th alone I caught one redlinked film which was being disambiguated as "(movie)" in some places and "(film)" in others — and actually already had an article...at the undisambiguated title. Groan, headdesk, harrumph harrumph. Bearcat (talk) 19:24, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
I need your help, editors are continuously adding to this page, adding different facts regarding nominations and all, I don't know how to structured that or what to leave or remove. Many things are new in this year nominations, and obviously we cannot add all distinctions. Please visit the page and check. There are lots of new facts related to this ceremony, and editors are continuously adding such facts, where there are no questions about their authenticity at the same time we cannot state every fact into it. Either we have to create a separate section for them or have to reach a mutual consensus to remove it or at least trim to it the most important ones. Nauriya (Rendezvous) 11:38, 27 January 2017 (UTC)