The Pledge of Tranquility, also known as the Tranquility Pledge, Dewikipedihol, the Control Pill, the Tranquilizer or the Tranquil Gun, (PoT) is an optional but recommended expression of tranquility when editing for the Wikipedia community. It is created to prevent the dangerous Editing Under the Influence from happening, thus making Wikipedia a safer environment.
The name is taken from the Pledge of Allegiance, with the 'Allegiance' section changed to 'Tranquility', which originated from the word 'Tranquilizer', a drug that is used to reduce anxiety, fear, tension, agitation, and related states of mental disturbance. The term 'Dewikipedihol' is clearly taken from the Wikipedihol.
The content has been revised several times by user Gerald. For two days, he stresses on making entertainable yet understandable content. This stress flourishes after him just writing the content naturally, without even thinking what he is writing. The final draft before creation of this page is finished an hour later. He said that he will continue revising the pledge.
The pledge itself
I pledge tranquility
For my seniors and my family members on Wikipedia,
And the policies and guidelines for which it enforces,
Just one pill, under God,
Indivisible, with friendliness and understanding for all.
For specifics, the Pledge of Tranquility may not work or might be hard to understand. Luckily, alternatives are available. They include:
- Self-reminder. This is the most effective alternative possible. A self-reminder not to be drunk. A self-reminder to edit Wikipedia when you're in the right state of mind to. Can be in mental form or in physical form, e.g. placing sticky notes.
- Praying serenity. The prayer itself wasn't meant for EUI circumstances, but you can change some of the words, eh?
- Enforce a curfew. Usually people drink at a certain time, so why not enforce an editing curfew at said time?
- Just edit well.
- Drug rehabilitation
- Substance abuse prevention
- Wikipedia:The world will not end tomorrow
- Wikipedia:There is no deadline