A Backstage Pass tour is an event aimed at sharing the expertise of real-world cultural institutions with our wiki-expertise. Principally this involves an organization or interest group hosting a private tour for the benefit of local Wikimedians and in reciprocation we help improve the content on Wikipedia that is relevant to that organization.
The day has three main parts:
- AM - Orientation and private guided tour of 'backstage' areas of the cultural institution, led by staff experts
- Lunch - together with staff, sponsored by the Archives of American Art
- PM - Sitting down with the Archives' staff individually or in small groups to collaborate on editing articles relating to topics discussed during the tour
|Advantages for the Archives
Advantages for Wikimedia
When and Where?
Friday, July 29, 2011
Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution
750 9th St NW, Suite 2200
Washington D.C., DC 20001
Meet promptly at 9:15 a.m. in the lobby of 750 9th St NW (The Victor Building), as all participants will need to show ID and register at the front desk before proceeding to the Archives on the second floor.
Participants should bring:
- A photo ID (required to enter the building)
- A laptop (for an afternoon editing session)
- Lots of questions for the Archives staff!
In addition to a private tour of the archival storage facilities, research areas and digitization labs, we will meet with Jason Stieber, Collections Specialist for the United States, who will share the process of acquiring papers, stories related to acquisitions, and sneak peeks at newly acquired papers. Afterward, Archivist Jean Fitzgerald will share rarely seen documents and stories about the collections.
We will have lunch with the Archives staff, followed by a targeted edit-a-thon, made possible by access to free WiFi, knowledgeable staff, and primary and secondary resources. After the edit-a-thon, we will visit the Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture to visit the Archives' latest exhibition in the Lawrence A. Fleischman Gallery gallery.
|9:15||Meet||Lobby of 750 9th St. NW (Victor Building)||Sara Snyder, Webmaster|
Sarah Stierch, Wikipedian In Residence
|9:30-9:45||Welcome from the Director of the Archives||Conference room||John Smith, Director|
|9:45-10:45||Collecting the Archives||Conference room||Jason Stieber, Collections Specialist for the United States|
|11:00-12:00||Secrets & Stories in the Archives||Conference room||Jean Fitzgerald, Archivist|
|12:00-12:30||Tour of the Archives||TBA|
|12:30-1:30||Lunch - Archives staff and Wikipedians|
|1:30-4:00||Edit-a-thon: Armory Show artists||Conference room||Archives Staff|
|4:15-5:00||Visit to the Lawrence A. Fleischman Gallery||Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture (across the street)||TBA|
|5:00 onwards||End and Happy Hour||Hill Country DC||All participants, staff, and guests are welcome|
This event is limited to 10 Wikimedians, with preference given to those with an interest in visual art and artists or American art history. Guests are welcome at happy hour following the event.
If you can only make it for part of the day, please state so, but we hope you can join us all day.
If you don't sign up we won't know you're coming! Please make sure that we can contact you if needs be - enable "email user" in your user settings if you are logged in. I will be emailing everyone a 5 days in advance to confirm your attendance.
- Smallbones (talk) 16:32, 13 July 2011 (UTC)
- --Aude (talk) 18:29, 13 July 2011 (UTC)
- --Danaman5 (talk) 01:16, 14 July 2011 (UTC)
- Wxidea (talk) 18:13, 14 July 2011 (UTC)
- Slowking4: 7@1|x 20:36, 14 July 2011 (UTC)
- --Qwerty0 (talk) 19:52, 17 July 2011 (UTC)
- Sadads (talk) 20:53, 21 July 2011 (UTC)
- --GcSwRhIc (talk) 16:09, 25 July 2011 (UTC)
- Bob Platt
- i am available and ready. currently working on Virginia Poets Laureate wikipages. ijil Rainbow Hawk Giver user:ijilRHG (talk) 11:23, 28 July 2011 (UTC) Thank you Sarah(s) for a delightful day!
- --FeanorStar7 (talk) 17:13, 16 July 2011 (UTC) I am putting my name here because I am not sure I can attend. I am interested in attending. Or I could create a new section called Tentative (maybe)?; I am interested in American art thru 1865. Thank you.
- Not sure if Ill be able too --Kumioko (talk) 22:52, 22 July 2011 (UTC)
- Your name here
Interested, but not able to participate in this event
- A complication has arisen, and I can't commit but I am hoping to still go down. David Shankbone 03:02, 22 July 2011 (UTC) I was excited at the idea of this, but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it down this time. Please keep me in mind for the future; it would be great to meet some of the DC area Wikipedians. --David Shankbone 04:55, 28 July 2011 (UTC)
- I will not be able to attend. I have a work commitment I must attend that day. I hope to attend another event; not sure about attending the Archives II event either.--FeanorStar7 (talk) 23:43, 20 July 2011 (UTC)
- Your name here
Any Questions? Add your own.
- Is there an RSVP date?
- No, however, 5 days before the event you will get an email to confirm your attendance. If you don't confirm your spot could be given to a User on the wait list.
- Can I take photographs?
- You're welcome to bring your own camera, staff will go over photography policies at the beginning of the event. However, we will be looking at archival papers and documents, not actual "objects" (i.e. paintings).
- I don't have a laptop, so what should I do?
- The Archives has computer work stations you can utilize during the edit-a-thon. We do prefer you bring a laptop so you can sit in the conference room with the rest of the group.
- Will there be other Backstage Passes?
- Yes, the Smithsonian will host a Backstage Pass event in the Fall as well, at a different museum.
- Is the happy hour for all ages?
- Yes, all ages are welcome at the happy hour. More details soon.
Results of the day
- Creation of articles:
- Contribution to existing articles:
- Alexander Archipenko
- Oscar Florianus Bluemner
- Solon Borglum
- Andrew Dasburg
- Lyonel Feininger
- Leon Kroll
- Walt Kuhn
- Bessie Potter Vonnoh
- William Zorach
- User accounts created:
- Media coverage