|MTR rapid transit station|
Exterior of Whampoa Station exit A
|Location||Tak On Street & Hung Hom Road, Hung Hom|
Kowloon City District
|Owned by||MTR Corporation|
|Operated by||MTR Corporation|
|Platforms||1 (1 side platform)|
Whampoa (Chinese: 黃埔; Cantonese Yale: Wòngbou) is the western terminus of the Kwun Tong Line of the MTR in Hong Kong. It is located in Hung Hom, Kowloon City District within the developed area of Whampoa Garden immediately adjacent to the stern of The Whampoa, a symbol of identity for the area and its history.
The station was originally due to be open in 2015, but due to delays during the construction of the underground portion of the station, it opened on 23 October 2016.
Whampoa Station was constructed under the HK$856 million Kwun Tong Line Extension Contract 1002, which was awarded in 2011 to a joint venture comprising Hong Kong contractors Chun Wo and Hip Hing Construction. This contract covered both the station as well as the overrun tunnel beyond it. The two station concourses were constructed using the cut-and-cover method, while the platform tunnel in between was built using the "drill-and-split" method. The use of tunnel boring machines was not preferred due to the lack of staging space in the densely built-up area, while drill-and-blast was not used at Whampoa Station in response to local concerns regarding safety and noise.
The station consists of a platform tunnel between two separate concourses and is mainly underground except for the entrances and ventilation shafts. The West Concourse is located at the junction of Hung Hom Road and Tak Man Street while the East Concourse is located along Tak On Street and be crossed by Shung King and Tak Ting Streets.
As with the stations at Po Lam and Disneyland Resort, this is a terminal station with a single side platform. Due to the fact that the single track at Whampoa cannot accommodate all Kwun Tong Line trains during Monday to Friday peak hours (07:00 to 09:30, 16:30 to 19:00), Saturdays (07:15 to 20:00) as well as Sundays and public holidays (08:40 to 20:00), half of Kwun Tong Line trains terminate at the preceding Ho Man Tin Station. As a result, trains serve Whampoa at four-minute headways.
|L1||Concourse||Customer service, MTRShops|
|Side platform, doors will open on the left|
|Platform 1||← Kwun Tong line towards Tiu Keng Leng (Ho Man Tin)|
- A: Man Siu Street, Hung Hom
- B: Hung Hom Road, Royal Peninsula, Harbour Place
- C1/C2: Shung King Street, Whampoa Garden, Stars by the Harbour 
- D1/D2: Tak On Street, Laguna Verde, The Harbourfront Landmark 
- "MTR Updates Construction Progress on SIL(E) and KTE Railway Projects" (PDF). MTR Corporation. 12 June 2014.
- "All systems go for MTR's South Island Line and Kwun Tong Line Extension". Hong Kong Engineer. Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. 39 (7). July 2011.
- Tam, Angela (November 2016). "Bringing the MTR to Ho Man Tin and Whampoa". Hong Kong Engineer. Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. 44 (11).
- "Whampoa Station layout" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Kwun Tong Line Extension, Projects - MTR official site
- "Whampoa Station street map" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "MTR - Kwun Tong Line Extension > Station Information > Whampoa Station". www.mtr-kwuntonglineextension.hk. MTR. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Whampoa Station.|