|Westerville North High School|
950 County Line Road
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Westerville City Schools|
|Superintendent||John Kellogg |
|Color(s)||Cardinal and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Ohio Capital Conference|
Westerville North High School is a public high school in Westerville, Ohio in Delaware County, Ohio. It is one of three high schools in the Westerville City School District. The school's current principal is Kurt Yancey.
The high school has been open since 1975. Westerville North's colors are cardinal and gold and its mascot is a representation of a classic Roman warrior. Students follow a moral code known as The Warrior Way, which focuses on respect for one another, parents, school and community. There are many traditions that are part of the school including seniors painting a large boulder outside the school, and walking around the school emblem in the front lobby for good luck.
The high school is one of three in the Westerville school district.
In the media
Westerville North has occasionally received national press attention, usually for unusual events taking place at the school. An incident involving marijuana-laced Rice Krispies treats sold at a bake sale was mentioned on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Many news networks featured a story involving Taylor Killian, a student who oiled himself down, went streaking throughout the school, and was subsequently tased twice by Westerville police officer Doug Staysniak. The school was also mentioned in a March 2008 episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, after Democratic presidential candidates appeared at rallies on the same day at Westerville North and Westerville Central.
Westerville North has also received local media attention for its service to the local food bank, WARM (Westerville Area Resource Ministry). The school regularly raises over $20,000 each year to support local families in need of food, clothing, and gifts for the holidays. It also was recognized as one of Fox 28's Cool Schools. Highlights for this recognition focused on the Hydroponics program in which WNHS raises plants and herbs to donate or sell to local businesses, the show choir called the Notables, and school spirit.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State championships
- Girls Track - 1977, 1979 - schools first OCC Championship
- Boys Basketball – 1994
- Boys Track and Field – 1998 (tie)
- Boys Soccer – 1995,2003
- Girls Soccer – 1990,1992
Westerville North is listed #1205 on Newsweek's list of "America's Top High Schools" for 2010
As of 2017 Westerville North is listed as #1763 on US News High Schools
- Jeff Davidson, All Big Ten offensive lineman for Ohio State. Played in the NFL for the Denver Broncos and New Orleans Saints. He is now the Offensive Line coach for the Denver Broncos.
- Josh Harris, BGSU standout and Retired NFL Quarterback
- Bob Kennedy, Indiana University standout and two-time track-and-field Olympic athlete
- Kevin Martin, basketball player
- Shaun Stonerook, basketball player
- Ryan Wilson, track and field olympian
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athlet−ic Association member directory". Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- "Westerville-North High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 7, 2019.
- John Petrick (February 26, 2003). "A popular cereal keeps its crackle". The Record (Bergen County, NJ). Archived from the original on November 5, 2012.
- Associated Press (January 20, 2007). "Cops Taser Student Running Naked Through High School Cafeteria". Fox News.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved December 31, 2006.
- "America's Best High Schools: The List". Newsweek.
8.WNHS athletics rivalry http://westervillenorthathletics.com/2017/10/02/throwdown-across-maxtown-central-at-north/