This article is missing information about definitions, history, economy, demography/population, suburbs, etc..December 2016)(
Western Sydney is a major region of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. It has a number of different definitions, although the one consistently used is the region composed of the nine local government authorities which are all members of the Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (WSROC). The NSW Government's Office of Western Sydney uses the broader Greater Western Sydney definition to refer to the region. The region lies in the Cumberland Plain.
Western Sydney as defined by the WSROC region covers 5,800 square kilometres (2,200 sq mi) and had an estimated resident population as at 30 June 2008 of 1,665,673. The region comprises the areas administered by the Blacktown City Council, Blue Mountains City Council, Canterbury-Bankstown Council, Cumberland Council, Fairfield City Council, Hawkesbury City Council, Hills Shire Council, Liverpool City Council, City of Parramatta Council, and the Penrith City Council.
Western Sydney is also sometimes used to refer to the Greater Western Sydney region, which is the combination of Western Sydney as defined above and the Macarthur Region (also referred to as South-western Sydney). As well as the ten councils listed above, the GWS region includes Camden Council, Campbelltown City Council and Wollondilly Shire Council.
Western Sydney is considered a particularly crucial region in federal politics, and the region's social conservativism has been credited with forming policy on migration and the treatment of asylum seekers by both major political parties. Western Sydney voted 'no' in high margins in the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey held in 2017. 12 of the 17 seats that voted 'no' were from Western Sydney.
- Western Sydney University
- Australian College of Physical Education
- TAFE NSW Western Sydney
- TAFE NSW South Western Sydney
- Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils
- Greater Western Sydney
- Regions of Sydney
- Regions of New South Wales
- Local government areas of New South Wales
- Western Sydney Wanderers
- Greater Western Sydney Giants
- Geography of Sydney
- "Home - WSROC Region". Profile.id.com.au. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- Joyce, Barnaby (8 March 2013). "Labor redefines meaning of "regional" spending to suit Western Sydney campaign". Australian Conservative. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- Eltham, Ben (5 March 2013). "There's Something About Western Sydney". New Matilda. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (WSROC)
- WSROC Regional Profile
- Office of Western Sydney
- SYDNEY.com - Sydney-West
- Gabrielle Gwyther (2008). "Western Sydney". Dictionary of Sydney. Retrieved 29 September 2015. [CC-By-SA]
- Centre for Western Sydney at Western Sydney University