West Somerville Branch Library
|Location||40 College Ave., Somerville, Massachusetts|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||Mclean and Wright|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|NRHP reference No.||89001248 |
|Added to NRHP||September 18, 1989|
The West Somerville Branch Library is a historic library at 40 College Avenue in Somerville, Massachusetts, just outside Davis Square. It is a fine local example of Classical Revival architecture, built in 1909 with funding support from Andrew Carnegie, and was the city's first branch library. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Architecture and history
The West Somerville Branch Library is located on the west side of College Avenue, opposite Morrison Avenue, on the north side of Davis Square. It is a 1-1/2 story granite structure, with elaborate Classical Revival styling. The main facade, facing roughly southeast, is three bays wide, with a center projection housing the entrance, which is set in a round-arch opening flanked by fluted Ionic columns and broad square pilasters. The entry columns support a gabled pediment with a modillioned cornice. The building's corners are quoined, and it is capped by a shallow-pitch hip roof with a modillioned cornice. On each side of the building is a projecting round bay.
The building was designed by Mclean and Wright of Boston, and was built in 1906-09 with funding from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie and the city. It is the city's best example of Classical Revival architecture, also exhibiting Beaux Arts details that were then in fashion. It was the first branch library in Somerville. The library has served the city since opening in 1909; it is part of the Minuteman Library Network system.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Somerville, Massachusetts
- Central Library (Somerville, Massachusetts)
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 15, 2008.
- "NRHP nomination and MACRIS inventory record for West Somerville Branch Library". Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- "West Somerville Branch Library - Community and City Hall Rally Support for Funds and Restoration". 2003-01-08. Retrieved 2008-11-02.