West Fallowfield Township,
Crawford County, Pennsylvania
Church in Hartstown
Location of West Fallowfield Township in Crawford County
Location of Crawford County in Pennsylvania
|• Total||11.71 sq mi (30.32 km2)|
|• Land||11.60 sq mi (30.05 km2)|
|• Water||0.11 sq mi (0.28 km2)|
|Highest elevation||1,330 ft (410 m)|
 (Crooked Creek)
|980 ft (300 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||50.34/sq mi (19.44/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (EDT)|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
The township is in southwestern Crawford County, bordered to the south by Mercer County. It is bordered to the east by Crooked Creek, Pymatuning Swamp, and the headwaters of the Shenango River. The unincorporated community of Hartstown is in the northern part of the township, and Adamsville is in the south.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 11.7 square miles (30.3 km2), of which 11.6 square miles (30.0 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 km2), or 0.91%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 659 people, 264 households, and 190 families residing in the township. The population density was 57.1 people per square mile (22.0/km²). There were 311 housing units at an average density of 26.9/sq mi (10.4/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.97% White, 0.15% African American, 0.30% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.15% from other races, and 2.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.30% of the population.
There were 264 households, out of which 30.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.5% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.0% were non-families. 23.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the township the population was spread out, with 23.4% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 27.5% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 16.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 95.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $30,956, and the median income for a family was $34,167. Males had a median income of $30,795 versus $18,304 for females. The per capita income for the township was $14,860. About 4.8% of families and 8.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.0% of those under age 18 and 2.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Cemetery Run Topo Map, Crawford County PA (Meadville Area)". TopoZone. Locality, LLC. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- Bureau, U. S. Census. "American FactFinder - Results". factfinder.census.gov. US Census Bureau. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): West Fallowfield township, Crawford County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.