|West Brook Senior High School|
8750 Phelan Boulevard
|Type||Public High school|
|Motto||Your stepping stone to a higher education.|
|School district||Beaumont Independent School District|
|Superintendent||John W. Frossard, Ed. D.|
|Teaching staff||122.77 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.61|
|Newspaper||The West Brook Times|
West Brook Senior High School is a high school in the city of Beaumont, Texas. It is operated by the Beaumont Independent School District and was formed in 1982 as a court-ordered measure to integrate the schools of the formerly separate South Park Independent School District.
West Brook was formed in 1982 from the court-ordered merger of two of the high schools in the former South Park Independent School District: the black Hebert High School, whose campus initially housed the ninth and tenth grades, and the almost all-white Forest Park High School, which initially housed the eleventh and twelfth grades. The students voted on the name and the mascot. The other majority-white high school in the district, South Park High School, was also merged into West Brook in 1986.
West Brook is now located on the former Forest Park campus.
State football championship
In its first year, an integrated team from West Brook under the former Hebert coach, Alexander Durley, won the state 5A football championship. Durley died of cancer after two seasons as head football coach of the Bruins, and the school's former stadium was named Alex Durley Stadium in his honor. West Brook now plays home games at the Carrol A. "Butch" Thomas Educational Support Center, together with other city high schools.
On March 29, 2006, the varsity girls' soccer team was traveling to a road game in Humble when their charter bus overturned on the highway outside Devers. Two girls were killed in the accident. The team and their parents subsequently helped pass what became known as Ashley and Alicia's Law, a state law requiring seat belts on all school buses purchased on or after September 1, 2010, and on all charter buses purchased on or after September 1, 2011.
The demographic breakdown of the 2307 students enrolled for the 2012-2013 school year is as follows:
- Male - 52.1%
- Female - 47.9%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.3%
- Asian/Pacific islander - 7.5%
- Black - 38.6%
- Hispanic - 18.3%
- White - 32.8%
- Multiracial - 2.5%
- Chip Ambres - former MLB outfielder
- Jerry Ball - former NFL nose tackle
- Michael Batiste - former NFL offensive lineman
- James Brown - former quarterback for the Texas Longhorns
- Jay Bruce - MLB outfielder
- Darrell Colbert – former NFL and WLAF wide receiver
- Ryan Grant - NFL wide receiver for the Indianapolis Colts, formerly the Washington Redskins
- Christine Michael - Indianapolis Colts running back
- Frank Middleton - former NFL offensive lineman
- Meghan Miller - actress, contestant in season 2 of America's Got Talent
- Taylor Reed - CFL linebacker
- Jason Tyner - former MLB outfielder
- Mickey Washington - former NFL cornerback
- "WEST BROOK SR H S". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 8, 2019.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for West Brook Sr H S". ed.gov. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- Beaumont Independent School District. (October 21, 2008), West Brook High School. Beaumont ISD Facts on West Brook. Retrieved on 2008-10-21.
- Michels, Patrick (November 14, 2014). "Race to the Bottom". The Texas Observer.
- Winningham, Geoff (October 1983). "Football, Game of Life". Texas Monthly. pp. 154+.
- "Historical Markers: South Park High School". Uncovered Texas. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- "25 years ago: West Brook wins only state title, brings a community together". Beaumont Enterprise. November 11, 2007. Retrieved November 7, 2016 – via SIP Trunking Report.
- Kubena, Brooks (August 26, 2016). "Does the Thomas Center truly offer a homefield advantage?". Beaumont Enterprise.
- Horswell, Cindy (June 8, 2007). "Perry signs bus seat-belt law at Beaumont school". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- "Chip Ambres". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- "Jerry Lee Ball". databaseFootball.com. Archived from the original on April 11, 2016. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- "Michael Batiste". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- Layden, Tim (August 25, 1997). "High Stakes Gambler". Sports Illustrated. p. 2. Archived from the original on January 16, 2014.
- "Jay Bruce". Baseball-Reference.Com. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- "Christine Michael". 247Sports.com. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- Henry, David (August 3, 2012). "Former NFL lineman Frank Middleton to be new Kountze OC". Beaumont Enterprise.
- "West Brook grad on 'America's Got Talent'". Beaumont Enterprise. June 19, 2007 [June 6, 2007]. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007.
- "Taylor Reed". 247Sports.com. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- "Jason Tyner". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- "Mickey Washington". databaseFootball.com. Archived from the original on April 12, 2016. Retrieved November 7, 2016.